Who is Running a Twin HPOP Setup on Their 6.0?

imelmo

Reaction score
Who all is running a twin hpop setup on their 6.0? What setup is it and what injectors and tuning? What are the pros and cons? Can it be dailied normally as in longish road trips and such?

Thinking about upping the fuel.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't take very long trips with them depending on what kit. Most of the affordable kits (less than 2k), use a basic Hydraulic type pump you can get at tractor supply, and get about 10k out of the pumps. You'd be better off just going with an aftermarket single pump, like an Adrenaline or Thumper II. OR Just run hybrids and get more fuel with less oil. Like Warrens 330/150s use the same oil as a 205 conventional, same with their 7mm 250/100s.

Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
we run the thumper pumps in our 6.0 build, love them. well worth the money. if you set on building a dual pump setup, from the ones i have seen, i would give Tyler at Street Diesel a call. he seems to have really figured the system out to be pretty reliable. sure he can help you

sootie

Reaction score
What are Jesse Warren and Jaran Holder doing? I would check with them as it seems to be working...

imelmo

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't take very long trips with them depending on what kit. Most of the affordable kits (less than 2k), use a basic Hydraulic type pump you can get at tractor supply, and get about 10k out of the pumps. You'd be better off just going with an aftermarket single pump, like an Adrenaline or Thumper II. OR Just run hybrids and get more fuel with less oil. Like Warrens 330/150s use the same oil as a 205 conventional, same with their 7mm 250/100s.

Just food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going with more fuel than that.

What are Jesse Warren and Jaran Holder doing? I would check with them as it seems to be working...

Warren has his own kit that I'll probably end up going with.

I have the Adrenaline high output pump now and it does great with the 285/150 hybrids, but I'm going to be stepping up to more fuel than that and 330's I don't think would be much of an upgrade from where I am.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I personally would not run a twin pump kit for a daily driver or long distance truck.

They work great, make lots of oil just like they are supposed to... BUT... they tend to get in the way of everything, they can leak after a while, and they only seem to last about 10-15k miles.

hucorey

Reaction score
I personally would not run a twin pump kit for a daily driver or long distance truck.

They work great, make lots of oil just like they are supposed to... BUT... they tend to get in the way of everything, they can leak after a while, and they only seem to last about 10-15k miles.
I guess I'll have to fix that too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
I daily drove mine just fine. Could hardly tell a difference on light throttle. Pump lasted 10k miles of flat out abuse. The daily driving thing is purely a myth from people who had junk tuning or are reading bs on facebook.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score
I daily drove mine just fine. Could hardly tell a difference on light throttle. Pump lasted 10k miles of flat out abuse. The daily driving thing is purely a myth from people who had junk tuning or are reading bs on facebook.

Why'd yours only last 10k miles?

KCTurbos

Reaction score

Mine also drove fine. I could not even tell it was on there except for extra power at WOT. I actually had to pull the belt and bypass the secondary pump while the kit was on because the pump was blown and I did not have time to change it. I could not even tell a difference except for the lack of top end power.

But it is not a Myth that people have had issues with daily driving. You are the only guy that has ran a pump for an extended amount of time on a DD that did not have issues. EVERYONE else that I know personally had LOTS of issues. Most of them eventually got rid of the kits and went to hybrids.

imelmo

Reaction score
But it is not a Myth that people have had issues with daily driving. You are the only guy that has ran a pump for an extended amount of time on a DD that did not have issues. EVERYONE else that I know personally had LOTS of issues. Most of them eventually got rid of the kits and went to hybrids.

What issues besides the secondary pump going out do people have?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
What issues besides the secondary pump going out do people have?

I am not bashing on the pumps. They work great and do exactly as advertised... I just would not recommend them on a Daily driver that see 15-30k per year.

I also have very little experience with the kits that use a Stock HPOP as the secondary pump. The only guy I knew that was using it said it had issues with starving the pressure from the low pressure oil pump. I would imagine the stock HPOPs would have much better longevity.

Pumps seem to leak/blow out around 15k + or - 5k

I have seen them blow the front seal, leak in between the cases, and totally grenade themselves and send oil through the IPR screen. Most guys I know that run them for extended miles will keep extra IPR screens and change them out every oil change.

It takes a little while to get the tuning dialed in for some guys. All out race tunes with big injectors seem to have less issues because they use up all the oil pretty easily. Some guys have issues with HPO spikes that blow open the IPR valve and surging the HPO system. That can easily be remedied by an experienced tuner.

If you are like me... and always working on the truck, changing turbos, changing injectors, etc... then taking the kit on and off SUCKS, it is not hard at all but adds time to simple tasks. After a while the lines can develop leaks, just like any hydraulic system. But taking them on/off makes that much more likely.

Once again... I am not anti-twin HPOP. I have one sitting right here ready to go on my race truck. I just regret having it on my daily driver. I put about 30k on my truck per year. I went through 3 pumps and then all the lines started leaking (from being taken on/off all the time). It was a nightmare for me.

ford rules

Reaction score
The reliability part comes from them being a basic gear pump in my opinion. Step up to a piston style pump and the reliability issues would go away.

imelmo

Reaction score
I see there's a Thumper 3 in testing right now. Even then though I'd have to pull the engine and switch over to the '05 and up oil system. Decisions, decisions, decisions...