Programmer question

602_7.3

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and I'm sure there are a million threads and opinions on programmers. I'm new to the 7.3 and wonder what the pros and cons are to a programmer vs. gauges/pods? And what programmers everyone is using?

bruce

Reaction score
You're right, there are tons of threads on tunes, try reading a few and making a decision.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
A programmer and gauges are two entirely different things. A programmer can have gauges built into it, but it's main purpose is to load tunes onto the vehicle.

Basically, you have a couple different options... You can go with a chip and set of analog gauges, or you can go with a programmer that has gauges/monitoring capabilities built in. You will be able to see a lot more information using OBDII (programmer/monitor) compared to a set of analog gauges. However, you will still need to add an EGT sensor to your programmer if you want to watch that, as the 7.3L PCM does not monitor that.

So the pros and cons are...

Chip and analog gauges: switch on the fly tuning, but only gives you a few PID's.

Programmer/monitor: Can see a lot more data, but you must shut the engine off to switch tunes.

We carry many products for both options if you are interested.

Arisley

Reaction score
Or you can get a chip and a gauge like this one:

roforce-blue-led-interceptor-dual-scan-gauge-set-5.png

It will see everything the PCM sees, you can pull codes, clear codes, run a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test with it.

You can also add two external inputs to it, like fuel pressure, (7.3 PCM does not monitor fuel pressure) and EGT (same as above).

602_7.3

Reaction score
A programmer and gauges are two entirely different things. A programmer can have gauges built into it, but it's main purpose is to load tunes onto the vehicle.

Basically, you have a couple different options... You can go with a chip and set of analog gauges, or you can go with a programmer that has gauges/monitoring capabilities built in. You will be able to see a lot more information using OBDII (programmer/monitor) compared to a set of analog gauges. However, you will still need to add an EGT sensor to your programmer if you want to watch that, as the 7.3L PCM does not monitor that.

So the pros and cons are...

Chip and analog gauges: switch on the fly tuning, but only gives you a few PID's.

Programmer/monitor: Can see a lot more data, but you must shut the engine off to switch tunes.

We carry many products for both options if you are interested.
Awesome info!!! Thanks for the help, exactly the answer I was looking for.

602_7.3

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to 2 programmers, I'm looking for opinions/experience before I buy...ready and go!!! LOL

85301_extra_03.jpg

40420_BullyDog.jpg

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I suggest all 3... Gauges-Coolant temp, Fuel PSI, Boost(much faster and accurate reading then through the pcm), Monitor(I just picked up a EDGE CTS, works great for monitoring stuff you dont/cant get gauges for, ICP, back pressure, trans, corrected speed, MAP, IAT, etc... and a good old TS style 6 position chip(never any issues like alot of current tuners have(having to update periodically, also shift on the fly)

602_7.3

Reaction score
This is exactly why I'm asking questions...I'm new to diesels and am trying to get opinions from the guys that know. What's your suggestion?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
This is exactly why I'm asking questions...I'm new to diesels and am trying to get opinions from the guys that know. What's your suggestion?

Hes just testing your hopefully thick skin. LOL.

I bet one could do about 3-4 hours of reading on here about tuners and TS style chips vs hydra. Def scroll through some classic threads and feel free to bump them. Alot of potential to be unlocked especially with the knowledge here.

I myself just sent my chip out for its 4th and hopefully final tuning... I will report back when I get it back in

tylergrifka

Reaction score
Or you can get a chip and a gauge like this one:

roforce-blue-led-interceptor-dual-scan-gauge-set-5.png

It will see everything the PCM sees, you can pull codes, clear codes, run a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test with it.

You can also add two external inputs to it, like fuel pressure, (7.3 PCM does not monitor fuel pressure) and EGT (same as above).

Do you have any experience with this gauge? I was debating the isspro 3gauge combo but id be interested in this single gauge if it's decent

Arisley

Reaction score
I have had one in my truck for about 100K miles. I like it a lot.

I have two external inputs on it, EGT and fuel pressure.

CUPINS

Reaction score
Hello PA, I have the Aeroforce Scangauge in my 1996 F350. I have the Amplifier and Thermocouple hooked up to read EGT,s, all other functions work fine. I cannot figure out how to set the gauge to display EGT,s. Can anyone help?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.