hard or no start with a p1670

Dzchey21

Reaction score
35 degrees when i tried today.

Plugging it in doesnt always help. If its plugged in it has to be like that for 6 hours or more.

mandkole

Reaction score
I just rolled through this thread from front to back--

observations;
-Good CPS
-Good GPs/relay/power supply to GPs
-Good injectors
-Batts/starter ok

Its time to finish troubleshooting the HPO system. As others have said, its down to the pump and IPR. Since the behavior is the same after the injector change, lets assume for a minute that the replacement injectors, orings are fine and the rails/cups are sealed.

If you don't want to swap parts yet,
-disconnect the hoses from the heads, put a pressure gauge on the end of one hose (cap the other), use remote starter switch or a buddy, and see what pressure the pump builds and record the values.

-Because the ICP would show no pressure in the head, the IPR should close the drain on high DC command, jump to 3K in a hurry.

-If the IPR is sticking, it will not close the drain port, the oil pressure goes to drain with lower/no pressure build. IMO, with age, IPRs will develop stiction (similar to a 6.0 injector) not allowing them to respond/operate correctly.

-If the pump makes quick pressure, then alternate plugging in one bank hose at a time and see if it will light on one bank or the other.

Or, you could just swap the HPOP and IPR with known good ones and focus on the head rail pressure.

My .02-- guys pls jump in.... we need to get past this HPO supply question that's been asked for months.:thumbsup:

webb06

Reaction score
I just rolled through this thread from front to back--

observations;

-Good CPS

-Good GPs/relay/power supply to GPs

-Good injectors

-Batts/starter ok

Its time to finish troubleshooting the HPO system. As others have said, its down to the pump and IPR. Since the behavior is the same after the injector change, lets assume for a minute that the replacement injectors, orings are fine and the rails/cups are sealed.

If you don't want to swap parts yet,

-disconnect the hoses from the heads, put a pressure gauge on the end of one hose (cap the other), use remote starter switch or a buddy, and see what pressure the pump builds and record the values.

-Because the ICP would show no pressure in the head, the IPR should close the drain on high DC command, jump to 3K in a hurry.

-If the IPR is sticking, it will not close the drain port, the oil pressure goes to drain with lower/no pressure build. IMO, with age, IPRs will develop stiction (similar to a 6.0 injector) not allowing them to respond/operate correctly.

-If the pump makes quick pressure, then alternate plugging in one bank hose at a time and see if it will light on one bank or the other.

Or, you could just swap the HPOP and IPR with known good ones and focus on the head rail pressure.

My .02-- guys pls jump in.... we need to get past this HPO supply question that's been asked for months.:thumbsup:

The injectors he swapped in were used though. Could have the same issue as the original.

TurboM700

Reaction score
What does the computer think the coolant temp is before starting it, not saying this is the issue but I just ran thru this with my TDI anything below 20 degree the CTS thought it was 50 degrees.

This not running the glow plugs and changing timing around would make it hard starting. Could be the issue!!!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ok so just to update, I installed a new set of injectors on monday from Seth aka co04cobra. He stepped up way above and beyond and sent me a set of injectors all on his own.

The truck is starting much better now, its been cold all week and he is using the truck like normal with so far no issues. So as stated you all were right on the injectors.

thanks for everyone taking the time to read this thread and help me out. 7.3s are so primative to me with the lack of diagnostics that the ecm is capable of in compareson to 6.4s and 6.7s so its just not up my alley.

Ill let you all know if anything changes but thanks again

webb06

Reaction score
Ok so just to update, I installed a new set of injectors on monday from Seth aka co04cobra. He stepped up way above and beyond and sent me a set of injectors all on his own.

The truck is starting much better now, its been cold all week and he is using the truck like normal with so far no issues. So as stated you all were right on the injectors.

thanks for everyone taking the time to read this thread and help me out. 7.3s are so primative to me with the lack of diagnostics that the ecm is capable of in compareson to 6.4s and 6.7s so its just not up my alley.

Saweet!!!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

thats cool.. so far so good.. hope that was the cure!

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What does the computer think the coolant temp is before starting it, not saying this is the issue but I just ran thru this with my TDI anything below 20 degree the CTS thought it was 50 degrees.

This not running the glow plugs and changing timing around would make it hard starting. Could be the issue!!!
7.3s dont rely on coolant temp..

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
With 7.3s. I personally would never install used injector, unless they have under 100k and have been flowed.. not worth the hassle.

Glad you got it figured out!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah I can see why that would be a legit statement. I probably won't do used ever again after this deal. I would have been done a year ago lol.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I would like to apologize again for all the hassle. I have and do install used injectors all the time with very, very, little issues. I only use ones that I can hear running in a engine before I pull them.

This particular issue is a uncommon thing to me using injectors that I have actually heard run. I'm not sure if something could of happened to those injectors in storage, or if I somehow sent the wrong set, but I'm fairly certain I did not. The first set had under 100k on the miles.

Regardless, I'm glad the issues seems to of been resolved.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I would like to apologize again for all the hassle. I have and do install used injectors all the time with very, very, little issues. I only use ones that I can hear running in a engine before I pull them.

This particular issue is a uncommon thing to me using injectors that I have actually heard run. I'm not sure if something could of happened to those injectors in storage, or if I somehow sent the wrong set, but I'm fairly certain I did not. The first set had under 100k on the miles.

Regardless, I'm glad the issues seems to of been resolved.

no absolutely not, you went way above and beyond to take care of me. Like i said in PMs i knew what i was buying ahead of time. I apreciate you coming to me and offering help. that will always stand out to me i can't thank you enough for that.

This whole truck has been like this, fixing crap every time i touch it from the previous owner, or worn out junk ect. So this whole deal is water under the bridge to me.

Thanks again i owe you

Jomax

Reaction score
no absolutely not, you went way above and beyond to take care of me. Like i said in PMs i knew what i was buying ahead of time. I apreciate you coming to me and offering help. that will always stand out to me i can't thank you enough for that.

This whole truck has been like this, fixing crap every time i touch it from the previous owner, or worn out junk ect. So this whole deal is water under the bridge to me.

Thanks again i owe you

Don't you love trucks that aren't taken care of?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah this one was bad

Starter cable was amplifier wire for stereos
Clutch linkage had almost worn all the way thru from not replacing the bushing on the master cylinder.

No exhaust behind the cab
Right bed side is caved in
Wiring inside the drivers door is damaged so the windows only roll up part of the time
Transmission oil looked like it had never been changed
Rear brake tube was leaking from being strapped to a trailer at some point
Needed 7 glow plugs when he first got it and the relay didn't work
A/c clutch is junk. I patched it but it's not going to last long.
Needs away bar bushings and end bushing really bad but since it steers ok he's fine with it lol

Jomax

Reaction score
Yeah this one was bad

Starter cable was amplifier wire for stereos
Clutch linkage had almost worn all the way thru from not replacing the bushing on the master cylinder.

No exhaust behind the cab
Right bed side is caved in
Wiring inside the drivers door is damaged so the windows only roll up part of the time
Transmission oil looked like it had never been changed
Rear brake tube was leaking from being strapped to a trailer at some point
Needed 7 glow plugs when he first got it and the relay didn't work
A/c clutch is junk. I patched it but it's not going to last long.
Needs away bar bushings and end bushing really bad but since it steers ok he's fine with it lol

Lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.