Oil Oil Oil

Bean

Reaction score
Putting this info up for everyone out there with heui injectors, especially the ones that run Rotella.

We had a customer recently that we could not get his idle right by way of email so he came all the way down from Cleveland to get live tuned. Usually Jon can dial in an idle within about 30 minutes, not this truck. The idle would oscillate up and down, Jon could get it to calm down then 30 seconds later it would start doing it again. One of my first thoughts was oil, but upon inspecting the oil it looked brand new and the customer said it only had 2000 miles on it so I decided that couldn't be it. Well after about 14hrs of trying everything from tuning to moving injs around installing a SRP1 and then a new IPR I decided to revisit the oil.

I had Jon put in 3 pints of Schaeffer's Moly EP treatment and by the 2nd bottle the idle was calming down and by the 3rd it had smoothed out completely.

Moral of the story is if your tuner can not make your idle smooth look at your oil. If its Rotella at all I recommend changing it immediately.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I've had these issues with dino on old trucks. After switching to syn it goes away. Was the additive synthetic?

SINNER

Reaction score
The 6.0's are even harder on oil and Rotella is horrible in those trucks. Cost no object I like Schaeffer's. Valvoline Extreme Blue full syn for a great quality oil at reduced prices.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
good post Bean. Rotella changed their formula probably 10-12 years ago. we noticed it in our big trucks, less oil pressure and they started using oil. we went with Mobile Delvac then, now we are running synthetic. every superduty that leaves are shop never runs Rotella again and the customers are happy again. Rotella is just a name now...not a standard.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Is this pretty much all diesels then? Same effects on 6.4s? I am using Rotella, and have noticed some bumps in the longer drives, and a slight bit of surging, but was thinking more along the lines of tuining... might explain a bit though... oil switch and surges both started about the same time...

IntrnlDslDriver

Reaction score
I have a 03 6.0 and when you give it throttle in let off when you are sitting still the rpm wont come all the way back down to idle sometimes. Is this the cause of running 15w-40 Rotella??

Bean

Reaction score
We like Schaeffers products here, seems to work really well in high sheer conditions like HEUI systems. The additive we put in has all the moly and other agents used in the 7000 but in a highly concentrated dose so we pretty much turned his Rotella into Schaeffers by adding 3 pints of the EP to it.

Ccorbin, not sure if oil would have any effect on drivability on a 6.4 since its not used in the injection system. I would still reccomend you change to some other oil because Rotella has caused so many issues that I have seen come through our shop.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
If you buy over $250 in Scheaffer's oil you get free shipping. Thru a dealer there 9000 series is only $18.20 per gallon.

Cheaper than most think

Latest posts

Members online