HOT!! 4r100

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
ok if my gauge is anywhere close( im pretty sure its not ) its running way to hot. not to rag on glowshift or anything but the trans temp gauge read 300 deg. while hauling big round bales of hay. With each bale weighing 1000 lbs+ i had 11 on the trailer (Bumper pull) that weighs close to 2500 or more. so probably a total close to 13-15k lbs.

MY truck is anm 00 7.3 ccsb with a built 4r100 triple disc torque converter and all the good stuff. Built 8 months ago. No slippage or burnt fuild smell. Just worries me after it cost over $3000

What makes me wonder about all of this is the OD light kept flashing but only when my gauge read over 280 deg. that only happend 2 times and i shut it off pretty quick after it started...

Sorry for the novel, any ideas?

Last edited:

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
some grades up and down... no its an aftermarket cooler from auto parts store. Im guessing the 6.0 trans coolers are good since your asking? not much wind and outside temp was 82-85 deg. Truck is only a 250 btw.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Far as I know they don't flash the light for over heat as there is no temp sensor in the trans. I bet you have slippage. Pull the codes and smell the fluid or you are shooting in the dark.

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
ive had slippage on the stock trans and im pretty sure i dont have any at all right now. Smelled the fluid and there wasnt anything unusual. Smelled like warm trans fluid not burnt. the light goes off when the temp on my gauge gets back under 280. like i said only happened twice and the truck didnt sputter slip or even act the slightest bit weird. like it did when i burnt up the stock trans .

neverkickn

Reaction score
ive had slippage on the stock trans and im pretty sure i dont have any at all right now. Smelled the fluid and there wasnt anything unusual. Smelled like warm trans fluid not burnt. the light goes off when the temp on my gauge gets back under 280. like i said only happened twice and the truck didnt sputter slip or even act the slightest bit weird. like it did when i burnt up the stock trans .

There is still nothing that you can do diagnostic wise till you determine what codes it threw.

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
yeah i understand that im just wondering if maybe other have had this problem and what im in for.

Big Bore

Reaction score
some grades up and down... no its an aftermarket cooler from auto parts store. Im guessing the 6.0 trans coolers are good since your asking? not much wind and outside temp was 82-85 deg. Truck is only a 250 btw.

I have the 6.0 cooler and Mag Hytech pan and I have a hard time even getting my tranny to show warm with a heavy trailer on it going up a steep pass. I have a custom billet triple disk and billet forward drum. Don't know what difference all that might make for mine vs yours, but everyone seems to like the 6.0 cooler when upgrading.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
I would say your gauge is probably pretty close to accurate based on this:

305°F isn't a good place to be, but it will NOT destroy the trans and will NOT burn modern ATF.

The OD light will flash when the trans temp gets about either 275°F or 280°F. I forget which one is the point an overtemp code is stored and the light flashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Ford's limits are 220°F all day long with no problems. You can go to 250°F, but don't stay above 220°F for more than 1/2 hour at a time. During testing I've had transmissions as high as 320°F (yes, that says three hundred twenty degrees F.) After testing a tear down showed no damage.

It would be up to you on what to do now, I would probably feel better changing the fluid, but if you think it is fine and doesn't seem to be burnt or broken down, then you could leave it.

What do you have for a chip/tuner? I have a friend using an EDGE Evolution who runs into high temps like that, where as I have trouble getting it over 150 on a 90 degree day with custom tuning. He has the same cooler as me, but I have a stock pan and he has the deep pan.

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
I have Custom tunes by twm. Not a very big cooler on it at all and stock pan. I was running in heavy tow.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I would say your gauge is probably pretty close to accurate based on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Ford's limits are 220°F all day long with no problems. You can go to 250°F, but don't stay above 220°F for more than 1/2 hour at a time. During testing I've had transmissions as high as 320°F (yes, that says three hundred twenty degrees F.) After testing a tear down showed no damage.

It would be up to you on what to do now, I would probably feel better changing the fluid, but if you think it is fine and doesn't seem to be burnt or broken down, then you could leave it.

What do you have for a chip/tuner? I have a friend using an EDGE Evolution who runs into high temps like that, where as I have trouble getting it over 150 on a 90 degree day with custom tuning. He has the same cooler as me, but I have a stock pan and he has the deep pan.

Man, great post.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Mark knows his stuff. I don't know if he made it over here yet or not. If not I wish he would. I've learned a lot about these transmissions from him. He diagnosed mine over the internet better than the 2 or 3 shops it had been to while talking to him.

I don't know much about the 6.0 cooler, but Big Bore and many others like it. I have the Tru-Cool 4739, mounted up at the front of the grille. Seems to work good, I get worried that it's too cool when driving down the highway and it barely touches 100.

I've heard mixed opinions on the deep pan. Obviously it should help keep it cool, but I think it's BTS that won't use them because they say it just leaves a bunch of un-circulated fluid at the bottom of the pan.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Far as I know they don't flash the light for over heat as there is no temp sensor in the trans. I bet you have slippage. Pull the codes and smell the fluid or you are shooting in the dark.

They do have temp sensor.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I have had problems with Glowshift pegging my trans temp gauge. Not that that's your problem but may be a possiblity.

Did your gauge needle go back down slowly or really really fast like in the blink of an eye?

Sorry if I missed it, just asking.

Bulletproof7.3

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think I'm going to the bigger pan but I'm going to move my trans cooler up from where most peoples fog lights are up in behind the grill. I'm also going to use two coolers from the auto parts store to hope help cool it . Also get a full synthetic fluid. Not sure what I put in it when I had trans rebuilt. Think it was mercon 2 . Or however u spell it . Hope this helps, cuz the cooler I have isnt real big and its in a bad spot in my opinion .

Latest posts

Members online