Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Aftermarket > 6.7 Tuning

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Shop that installed it recommended no tuning and Suncoast recommended no tuning. I have a 750+ capable trans with only ~550 going through it. Transmission shop that built it also recommended no tuning, said the transmission is built to not require line pressure changes, etc...

At one time Midwest would not guarantee their transmission without their tuning. RIP to Morgan, God bless his family.

I have always had GH tunes and had transmission shifting issues from day one of installing. Transmission had a little over 100k miles of very clean light duty factory stock power going through it. Trans was still holding up when I had it rebuilt at 214k miles but shifted horribly even through a dozen changes to the trans tuning along the way. Shop that did the bench build said the line pressures were so high that the trans was eating itself alive.

I gave my opinion based on him having a built trans and what professionals told me about mine. I don't trust GH trans tuning and by the time I switched to TD the trans was beyond trash so I can't comment on that but I won't tune the transmission with either of them.
Its your truck, do what you want. Still bad advice for others. I'm basing my opinions on many many discussions with Morgan. He knew his chit.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Its your truck, do what you want. Still bad advice for others. I'm basing my opinions on many many discussions with Morgan. He knew his chit.
Morgan did know his stuff for sure but doubt he'd put his rep on the line for anyone's tuning other than his. I planned on having him tune mine but he passed before mine was built and installed. I trust Suncoast knows what is best for their transmission. Opinions are all we have, none of us are experts. I'm not saying no one should tune, a stock trans with 600 horse going though it is going to need tuning to live however a transmission with HD billet converter, billet flex plate, all new clutch packs with a 40% increase in clamping power, etc etc I feel does not need tuning to live. I accidentally loaded a TD trans tune and started getting shift flares in 3-4 and 4-5, barking in heavy throttle from 4-5, and a long pause when shifting into reverse with abrupt engagement once it did shift. Made backing up a trailer a pain. I chalked it up to relearn and adaptive but after 500 miles with no improvement I took it back so the factory program they received with the valve body and solenoids could be reloaded. Since then the last 500 miles have been flawless. I believe that there are so many versions of TCM tuning from Ford for every year and in mid year changes that everyone's situation is different as is their experience with tuning. Some people have great luck and I may just have a finicky TCM that doesn't like tuning from anyone.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Thanks for all the input guys. I did get to drive a 6.7 with the exact same setup I have now and really liked the trans tuning. This was with Ty rants tuning. He did mention to me at first he had to reset trans adaptive learning because it was acting up the same way doo dah described it. After awhile it cleared up on its own tho.

I just drove my truck with new trans installed and it feels exactly the same as with stock. I would have thought that at least I would feel the torque converter lock up. Is this normal? Maybe it has to do with me using the same h&s canned tunes? Turbo kit is not installed yet.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

My lock up is heavy, almost like another shift. Don't know what converter is in yours but the Suncoast is a heavy and huge part. There is no doubt when it locks up even with stock trans file. lol
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Shop that installed it recommended no tuning and Suncoast recommended no tuning. I have a 750+ capable trans with only ~550 going through it. Transmission shop that built it also recommended no tuning, said the transmission is built to not require line pressure changes, etc...

At one time Midwest would not guarantee their transmission without their tuning. RIP to Morgan, God bless his family.

I have always had GH tunes and had transmission shifting issues from day one of installing. Transmission had a little over 100k miles of very clean light duty factory stock power going through it. Trans was still holding up when I had it rebuilt at 214k miles but shifted horribly even through a dozen changes to the trans tuning along the way. Shop that did the bench build said the line pressures were so high that the trans was eating itself alive.

I gave my opinion based on him having a built trans and what professionals told me about mine. I don't trust GH trans tuning and by the time I switched to TD the trans was beyond trash so I can't comment on that but I won't tune the transmission with either of them.
Fair enough. I was just curious if a particular tune(s) played a role in this. My last 12' had trans tuning, and with just under 250k miles, it ran and shifted perfectly.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Morgan did know his stuff for sure but doubt he'd put his rep on the line for anyone's tuning other than his. I planned on having him tune mine but he passed before mine was built and installed. I trust Suncoast knows what is best for their transmission. Opinions are all we have, none of us are experts. I'm not saying no one should tune, a stock trans with 600 horse going though it is going to need tuning to live however a transmission with HD billet converter, billet flex plate, all new clutch packs with a 40% increase in clamping power, etc etc I feel does not need tuning to live. I accidentally loaded a TD trans tune and started getting shift flares in 3-4 and 4-5, barking in heavy throttle from 4-5, and a long pause when shifting into reverse with abrupt engagement once it did shift. Made backing up a trailer a pain. I chalked it up to relearn and adaptive but after 500 miles with no improvement I took it back so the factory program they received with the valve body and solenoids could be reloaded. Since then the last 500 miles have been flawless. I believe that there are so many versions of TCM tuning from Ford for every year and in mid year changes that everyone's situation is different as is their experience with tuning. Some people have great luck and I may just have a finicky TCM that doesn't like tuning from anyone.
Ive have been running a Suncoast Full built trans and their converter ,for a little over 60k miles. '15 450. Truck is tuned by PPEI.I run the 200 hp tune that has trans tuning.Never one issue with running the trans with tuning.90% of those miles towing my 53ft horse trailer and 6 horses.