Blown up again

Joshf250

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m looking for a little advice, about 2 years ago I pulled the cab off of my truck and pulled the heads off my truck, had them resurfaced. I put everything back together using oem gaskets and ARP 425’s. Everything was good until it just recently blew the headgasket again. I’m going to tear it apart again and have the heads checked and o ringed. What’s everyone’s opinion on switching to ARP 625’s rather than the 425’s. I want to make sure this is the last time I have to do this.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What kinda power you making? How was block deck surfaced?

Joshf250

Reaction score
I have 165/30’s and an s363sxe so nothing crazy. I cleaned the deck with a razor blade and wiped it all down with brake cleaner. I made sure not to gouge it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Check for flatness?

How many razor blades did you go through

Joshf250

Reaction score
What’s a good way to check for flatness? And is there a better method to clean the block? I used a new blade on each side

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
A straight edge.

And I use about 20 blades per side. My guess is you did not knock down all the carbon deposits

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
After blowing my head gaskets with the normal arps, I had used **** ass aftermarket gaskets, I switched to the 625s, didnt blow them in 6 months, but then the heads cracked and staryed dumping fuel in the coolant. Swapped heads, and I ringed the new heads, that with the 625s held well over 60 psi of boost, till the rods let go.

Long story short, 625s with o rings will hold just fine.

(Dont tell anyone, but my block was prepped with a nubby pad on a buffing wheel...)

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Joshf250

Reaction score
So it sounds like I should just go ahead and buy the 625’s and have my heads o-ringed. Maybe one day I’ll put another turbo in front of my 363 and I want to make sure it’s not going to let go. What about getting stronger valve springs and new lifters while it’s all apart?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes lifters at the least, push rods are a good idea, and while the heads are off, a set of valve springs is real easy, and a good idea.

Joshf250

Reaction score
Who is the go to for lifters? I I’ve heard good and bad things about Mahle lifters. Sorry for all the questions just wanting to make sure it’s done right.

sootie

Reaction score
get the ones from Airfish or SideActionDiesel on here.

Joshf250

Reaction score
I will check them both out, thank you.

08Monster

Reaction score
After blowing my head gaskets with the normal arps, I had used **** ass aftermarket gaskets, I switched to the 625s, didnt blow them in 6 months, but then the heads cracked and staryed dumping fuel in the coolant. Swapped heads, and I ringed the new heads, that with the 625s held well over 60 psi of boost, till the rods let go.

Long story short, 625s with o rings will hold just fine.

(Dont tell anyone, but my block was prepped with a nubby pad on a buffing wheel...)

Does anyone actually use that razor blade thing? Hell I clean all my blocks with a die grinder and a brown rolloc disk. I've never had a head gasket failure after studs on any trucks I've ever done. Done many semis as well, same thing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
But you are seasoned, so is Tony...

Do you trust average Joe to prep his deck with rolocks? I don't.

I use razor blades at a 90° angle.

I bet with your grinder you go til surface is a mirror? If so that means you actually removed metal material. All the discoloration is due to staining. When I'm done prepping you still see all the stains but surface is like glass... Perfectly smooth.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Toss me a 466 or 7.3, then I'll use a power grinder with wire wheel or a fine disc.... But those are not MLS sealing surfaces

08Monster

Reaction score
But you are seasoned, so is Tony...

Do you trust average Joe to prep his deck with rolocks? I don't.

I use razor blades at a 90° angle.

I bet with your grinder you go til surface is a mirror? If so that means you actually removed metal material. All the discoloration is due to staining. When I'm done prepping you still see all the stains but surface is like glass... Perfectly smooth.
No, I just go till all carbon deposits are gone. Still looks stained, just smooth.

08Monster

Reaction score
Ahh good...

So what do you think average Joe would do?
For sure go till it's shiny. Haha I spin the grinder just fast enough to start taking carbon off. Prob 1/4 of it's full speed, and use a worn disk. If you see sparks flying, you are doing it wrong

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Right, so I'm def not going to recommend a novice to use something that can easily be damaging to unskilled labor.

Just like I'm sure you know what your impact can do as I use it to tighten things like drain plugs.

Latest posts

Members online