2010 F450 Smog question

Xrmxvinman

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I just bought a 2010 F450. As far as smog goes, it should be exempt because it has a GVWR of 14500.

My question is do I still have to smog it to get it registered initially and after that I'm exempt?

Reason for asking is because I bought it out of state, in VA to be exact. Bought from a dealership out there and had it shipped. They told me it hasn't been modified and should pass no problems. Come to find out I don't have a CAT or DPF. So I'm in the process of figuring it all out now.

Anyone have any thoughts on this that might be any help?

co04cobra

Reaction score
I'm going to sub in as I have a lot of customers from VA.

Curious what part of VA the truck was purchased from?

Reaction score
Hey guys

So I just bought a 2010 F450. As far as smog goes, it should be exempt because it has a GVWR of 14500.

My question is do I still have to smog it to get it registered initially and after that I'm exempt?

Reason for asking is because I bought it out of state, in VA to be exact. Bought from a dealership out there and had it shipped. They told me it hasn't been modified and should pass no problems. Come to find out I don't have a CAT or DPF. So I'm in the process of figuring it all out now.

Anyone have any thoughts on this that might be any help?

Sounds like the dealer owes you a set of emissions equipment.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
If you bought it from a dealer they should have registered it.
Either way I would get the equipment for when CA decides to add us in.

Reaction score
If you bought it from a dealer they should have registered it.
Either way I would get the equipment for when CA decides to add us in.

They won't be adding the weight class that F450/550s fall into (from the factory). It's a numbers thing; if there's not X amount of vehicles in a given category they won't require smog. Within the next 5 years, all gas vehicles, 95 and older will become exempt because there won't be enough of them on the road to justify keeping the older machines running.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
They won't be adding the weight class that F450/550s fall into (from the factory). It's a numbers thing; if there's not X amount of vehicles in a given category they won't require smog. Within the next 5 years, all gas vehicles, 95 and older will become exempt because there won't be enough of them on the road to justify keeping the older machines running.

I don't buy that one. They just switched mid last year to plug in testing only for 2000 and newer vehicles. Older ones still on the rollers. If what you said was true then they would have made the year 96 since that is when the tuning changed and requirements like more O2 sensors crank position sensors etc. On CA not adding a personal 450 I would not put it past them. If not then why do businesses have to do smog tests on vehicles over 14000 GVWR.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Xrmxvinman

Reaction score
Hey guys I know this is old and I apologize I haven't gotten back to anyone. I appreciate all the responses and it's interesting to hear everyones opinion.

I have since gotten rid of the truck that was in question, just didn't work out. But I MIGHT still consider another 450 in the future if I can just get some things cleared up.

My goal is to have a diesel truck in Cali that is smog exempt for the obvious reasons. As of right now, those are anything 97 and older or the 2008-2010 f450/550 trucks WITH a pickup bed (14.5k GVWR). Basically a personal truck that doesn't need to stop at scales. I would love to have the 450 since its more modern, comfortable and safe.

According to CA law, the F450s and F550s with a pickup bed conversion that are used only for personal use are exempt. I will add the link to dieselstop.com below where I read this.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/ca-smog-f-450-550-14k-gvwr-deadlines-285619/

After reading, it mentions either retrofitting or retiring. What I'm getting out of this article is saying that the F450 is exempt from everything as long as its for personal towing usage, no retrofitting OR getting rid of the truck at some point. Can anyone confirm?

Ultimately I know getting 97 and older is the easiest and safest way to go but if theres a chance I can have this truck I'd rather do that. I also know Cali can be stupid and change the rules on us again anytime which can be scary too. What's everyones thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Hey guys I know this is old and I apologize I haven't gotten back to anyone. I appreciate all the responses and it's interesting to hear everyones opinion.

I have since gotten rid of the truck that was in question, just didn't work out. But I MIGHT still consider another 450 in the future if I can just get some things cleared up.

My goal is to have a diesel truck in Cali that is smog exempt for the obvious reasons. As of right now, those are anything 97 and older or the 2008-2010 f450/550 trucks WITH a pickup bed (14.5k GVWR). Basically a personal truck that doesn't need to stop at scales. I would love to have the 450 since its more modern, comfortable and safe.

According to CA law, the F450s and F550s with a pickup bed conversion that are used only for personal use are exempt. I will add the link to dieselstop.com below where I read this.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f47/ca-smog-f-450-550-14k-gvwr-deadlines-285619/

After reading, it mentions either retrofitting or retiring. What I'm getting out of this article is saying that the F450 is exempt from everything as long as its for personal towing usage, no retrofitting OR getting rid of the truck at some point. Can anyone confirm?

Ultimately I know getting 97 and older is the easiest and safest way to go but if theres a chance I can have this truck I'd rather do that. I also know Cali can be stupid and change the rules on us again anytime which can be scary too. What's everyones thoughts on this?

You can buy an f450 from Ford with a pickup bed on it. Those trucks are smog exempt in California.

Overdrive

Reaction score
All I can tell you is my neighbor has a f550 flat bed construction service truck and he never had to smog it. I had a 99 F250 and now a 01 350 and had to smog both. They were stock trucks do it wasn't a issue. Just a total rip off. Guy looked under the hood revved it and said good to go. $50 please.

Latest posts

Members online