ALL 6.0 mechanics have a look

junglejoe

Reaction score
So long story short, severe oil in the degas bottle. Figured oil cooler ruptured. Ok, cool. No biggie.

Now here is where it gets fugged up! Found these pieces of metal in the oil side of the OEM oil cooler when I got it out. I decided to take my air hose and blow through, just to see how it was. Then I noticed the first piece of metal in the bottom. Got my telescoping magnet out and fished it out. I was like must be why the oil cooler dumped oil in the degas bottle.The cooler busted apart internally..? Then yesterday, I picked up the old oil cooler again, just looking at it and noticed another piece of metal sticking out of the side, about half way down(in the oil side) ,same as the other piece of metal.

So I have checked the oil screen that is under the oil cooler, it has some very very minor trash or debris, no metal though! I took the IPR valve out to have a look at the screen, it looked brand new! I have not checked the oil pan or the oil yet to see if there is any more of this metal, I'll do that when I get off work today

Truck was running flawlessly when I parked it in the driveway when I got back from my trip. It was not started again after I seen the oil in the degas bottle. Engine coolant was 175 and oil temp got as high as 230 under normal 70 mph driving on the highway, hauling nothing but my azz. I knew the oil cooler was going, just didn't have time to fix it and wasn't sure I wanted to attempt it.I have never worked on a "diesel" Its not to bad so far.

So my question to you guys is this, what is these metal pieces? Ever seen anything like it?

The degas pic I took to show the black oil in the gas bottle before I tore the truck apart.. In my other thread oil cooler ruptured there is a couple more pictures of this metal I found.. any idea what it is or what I should do?

Attachments

• )()()()()(()()()(.jpg
    )()()()()(()()()(.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 246
  • )(())()()()(.jpg
    )(())()()()(.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 239
  • )()()())(((((((.jpg
    )()()())(((((((.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 126

junglejoe

Reaction score
It appears the two pieces may have been one. Not 100% sure... it is a grove piece of metal though and hollow.

EDIT::: I'm 100 percent sure this was one piece of metal after looking at it again.

Attachments

• 20160211_072449.jpg
    20160211_072449.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160211_072428.jpg
    20160211_072428.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
It's hard to tell in those pictures how big the metal pieces are, so I'm thinking roller needles from a failed lifter?? I don't think that metal caused the oil cooler to fail, it just ended up there.
I'd look at the cam and roller lifters and oil pump, that metal came from somewhere. In my book that engine needs a complete rebuild.
Because the oil cooler failed the cooling system is full of sludge, you can't see 99.9% of the mess either till you really open engine up (pull the heads and front cover). I just took a 6.0 apart that had a oil cooler failure a few years ago, you should see the mess. Needles to say this truck is getting a new engine, radiator, heater core and some hoses. I have some pictures of what the mess looks like and I'll try and post them up later.

junglejoe

Reaction score
That metal is about the size of a large paperclip in diameter. I'm not to concerned about the gunk.. that can be cleaned out... my concern is what and where that metal came from.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Looks like a staple from the old oil filters
Staple? Its not a staple unless they were the size of paperclips as far as diameter.. There is a grove on one side of it.. EDIT: ::: now that you mention it... It does look like those bid staples that hold cardboard. Boxes closed. But don't think that's it

Last edited:

jake74

Reaction score
Could be a lifter plunger retainer. If it came out lifter would still function as it always has preload so plunger won't jump out.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It looks like a lifter retainer to me as well. May be time to put some in before they completely go though. And as far as needing a motor due to the sludging, ford says as long as its liquid, it can be flushed. If it has solidified or is thick enough to chunk out instead of flow, thats when you are sc re wed.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It looks too big to be an injector clip, based on the picture next to the dime. I also thought old stc fitting clip though too...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Retainers are about same size, if bot smaller. I also though the retainers were copper colored also?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I thought they weresilver, but my memory sucks... Are you talking about the injector clip on the top where the rail goes in, cause i remember those being pretty small around, but the lifter ones being probably nickle sized. But once again, my memory sucks, not trying to argue either.

junglejoe

Reaction score
I just put the dime there so you guys can see about what size it is. It's bent and the one part is straight. So apparently something has hit it or something... With that grove in it on one side, like it was some kind of.. well, I just don't know.. I'm hoping it was just something in the oil cooler..I know slim chance of that.

It just looks like it was made to hold something in place with that groove that's in it.

I would send it to someone if they would want to look at it. it's to cold to work on it right now.. try to get it back together next week and hope for the best.

I am going to pull the low pressure pump off and drain the rest of the oil and slide a magnet in the oil pan to see if there is any more in the pan.

Latest posts

Members online