Excessive drone after Single S300 Install

Justinlw

Reaction score
Anyone else experience this? Turbo is an H&S kit S364.5SXE. I’m running SDP 3.5”-4” down pipe, 4” exhaust to the rear, magnaflow 4” Cat, 30” FTE resonator.

Drone has remained before Cat was installed, after FTE, also tried a Banks muffler. Nothing on the exhaust side is contacting the body or frame. No soot in the engine compartment or on firewall.

I’m just trying to figure out if this is related to the single, or if I should be checking motor mounts and other areas. About to drive me crazy, only reason I’m posting about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justinlw

Reaction score
Guess I should add, drone is 1500-2200rpm. Also present at idle

6.4powerstroke!

Reaction score
Had a 366 on mine and at first the dp was rubbing the cab and it was obnoxious but adjusted it and made it better but it was still louder than I’d like. Had a 4 inch exhaust with a muffler

Justinlw

Reaction score
My first DP was H&S’s 4” and I could not get it to clear even after replacing cab mounts and shifting cab as far rearward as possible. That gave me a buzz/rub. The new DP is clear all around, about an inch from the cab.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
My first DP was H&S’s 4” and I could not get it to clear even after replacing cab mounts and shifting cab as far rearward as possible. That gave me a buzz/rub. The new DP is clear all around, about an inch from the cab.

Did you get a hold of us here so we could help get your issue resolved? I have not heard of any clearance issues with our downpipe.....

Justinlw

Reaction score
Did you get a hold of us here so we could help get your issue resolved? I have not heard of any clearance issues with our downpipe.....

I actually did a few times last year when I installed. Dallas told me “has to be an issue with the truck, pipes are built on a jig and h&s has never seen that problem”. I can find the email if needed.

All behind us, and I’m not blaming anyone. Clearance issue is solved, now I’m just trying to track down the drone.

Justinlw

Reaction score
And I’ll add, Zane and Dallas were very helpful through the whole install, I’m happy with the service and the kit quality.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I realize my truck is a 7.3, but I did what I could to have a 4" exhaust, and a quiet one with no drone. My truck is a SCLB. I tried a two mufflers and an FTE resonator and a combination of both. The resonator did not work for me. I now have this setup, and its from Ryder fleet and cheap. works fantastic, truck is quiet, and no drone. Now that I ditched the 38R and put a 366sxe in a little over a year ago, truck is as quiet as a 7.3 can be with single shots. So nice for trips. Hell I drove it from central PA down to Key west florida. Super comfortable and relaxing to drive.

I used this muffler, and two 5" to 4" adapters.

(1) Donaldson Muffler 5" X 45" M100465
(2) Heavy Duty Exhaust Reducer 5 odx4 id 29-540A

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/donaldson-m100465/muffler-5-x-45-p-w26-m100465

The muffler is only $65. Its not stainless. But at $65, Ill replace it if it fails someday lol.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I realize my truck is a 7.3, but I did what I could to have a 4" exhaust, and a quiet one with no drone. My truck is a SCLB. I tried a two mufflers and an FTE resonator and a combination of both. The resonator did not work for me. I now have this setup, and its from Ryder fleet and cheap. works fantastic, truck is quiet, and no drone. Now that I ditched the 38R and put a 366sxe in a little over a year ago, truck is as quiet as a 7.3 can be with single shots. So nice for trips. Hell I drove it from central PA down to Key west florida. Super comfortable and relaxing to drive.

I used this muffler, and two 5" to 4" adapters.

(2) Heavy Duty Exhaust Reducer 5 odx4 id 29-540A

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/donaldson-m100465/muffler-5-x-45-p-w26-m100465

The muffler is only $65. Its not stainless. But at $65, Ill replace it if it fails someday lol.

I actually bought a 4” Donaldson, I think it was 52” one the Cummins guys use. I still had the drone, just in a narrower rpm range. That’s why I’m thinking there’s something else causing it. You can feel it in the floor like a 90’s mustang with dumps. Maybe not that bad, but after a 4hr trip it feels like it.

Looked the truck over last night and found the cold side pipe against the radiator. Adjusted it and added some foam padding to keep it from making contact. Hoped that was it, but it didn’t make a difference.

Thinking of changing the exhaust all together. Maybe the cheap system I bought has too thin of pipe wall, or it isn’t hung right. I’ve just never had issues with drone before this truck.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I tried the 4" M085171, something the Cummins guys use first. Terrible drone. The 5" listed above killed it. I'll see if I can find the old part number that gave me drone.

Edit: I think it was the M085171 that gave me drone.

Last edited:

Jsexton

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my single but it is a 467.7
It was a 2 piece down pipe were they connected in the center the ban clamp was not tight, then indeed FTE 4 inch resonator. Also added the heat wrap to my down pipe just the help...theirs still a slight drone a 2200 rpm but nothing bad. I've been told their will be a drone due to a single turbo and not factory compounds toi kill the exhaust note....
Look into FTE resonator...

Justinlw

Reaction score
Downpipe is sealed, no soot around the joint. I’m already running the 30” FTE and a magnaflow 4” Cat with no change.

I ordered a new 4” system from mbrp, think I’m going to do the 30” FTE to a muffler and see where that gets me. Using the truck for road trips now that we have a new baby to go with the 2 teenagers.

sootie

Reaction score
What condition are your cab mounts in? By any chance is the bolt of a clamp touching your body at all?

Justinlw

Reaction score
What condition are your cab mounts in? By any chance is the bolt of a clamp touching your body at all?

Cab mounts are brand new. Cab was moved as far back as the mounts would allow (did this for downpipe and tire clearance). Drone was there before and after mounts.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I think youll really be amazed at what this muffler can do for you. I think the velocity change going to 5" muffler chambers kills it. Its also less than $75

(2) Heavy Duty Exhaust Reducer 5od - 4id 29-540A

Justinlw

Reaction score
I think youll really be amazed at what this muffler can do for you. I think the velocity change going to 5" muffler chambers kills it. Its also less than $75

(2) Heavy Duty Exhaust Reducer 5od - 4id 29-540A

I’ll give it a shot. If this one works I will have a few for sale!

1 Banks Stainless Monster 4”
1 FTE Aluminized 16”
1 FTE Aluminized 30”
1 Diamond Eye Aluminized 4”

Quite the collection over the years.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I understand. I went through a few mufflers before I settled on that one. I also tried the FTE resonator, but it had an ungodly squeeling sound above 20 or so psi of boost. Added a muffler to it, squeel was more pronounced as exhaust note was down. But all had drone until I got that muffler.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I understand. I went through a few mufflers before I settled on that one. I also tried the FTE resonator, but it had an ungodly squeeling sound above 20 or so psi of boost. Added a muffler to it, squeel was more pronounced as exhaust note was down. But all had drone until I got that muffler.

What you describe with the FTE is what I heard with the big Donaldson. A lot of turbo “chatter” and noise, no exhaust tone. Sounded terrible.

Latest posts

Members online