"Runt" Build

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
07AB7366-7726-4255-A7C4-759EA6F4D66D_zpsmuknmgol.jpg

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Cab up, motor out. Going to try to address some suspension pieces at the same time. Index the transfer case, build crossmember, look into air bumps for the front, and weld up a custom trackbar

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Haha. I miss it already. Glad those boys are tearing into it though, it's a wiring mess in there

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Well, as any project goes, it has been one step forward and two steps back. It is coming along though and all the vendors have helped resolve any issue that we have run into so far. I was cheap gathering parts when I first got this truck and I am finding that a lot of those parts aren't going to work out so well. I need to take more pictures and post them but the truck still looks sad on stock tires with the cab up in the air.

The big hold up is getting the clutch back from southbend. The shop that installed the clutch originally is out of business now and for good reason! No dowel pin was used, bolts were bottomed out into the crank because they didn't use the supplied washers, and bolts were getting ready to fall out. Lesson learned there...

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Well, oil pan was dented from shipping and decided to remove it to get everything right. Lots of metal in the pan but fresh oil. Motor was advertised as "never run" so hopefully it is just leftover from something? I am wondering if I need to tear down and inspect everything. I will get a pic up soon

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Close enough... Hopefully have it back in a week or so and start driving it again. I won't have my swaybar parts, limit straps, or rod ends to fab up my trackbar. I ordered everything from a company (Offroad-engineering) in California and haven't been able to get ahold of them for three months. I'm getting used to getting screwed over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 145

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Close enough... Hopefully have it back in a week or so and start driving it again. I won't have my swaybar parts, limit straps, or rod ends to fab up my trackbar. I ordered everything from a company (Offroad-engineering) in California and haven't been able to get ahold of them for three months. I'm getting used to getting screwed over.
Pull the lower part off and see if you can get it to line up that way.

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
I actually had another dp that I have had in the garage for two years. Took it out of the box and it bolted right up. It seems to be the bell housing size for the zf6 that causes an issue. That part is squared away now!

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
She is up and running! I welded in a trackbar using parts from bulletproofsteering and the difference is AMAZING. Also clocked the transfer case using the Pmf ring, welding a front driveshaft hoop into the trans crossmember instead of just notching it, and ran the ccv to the exhaust. The truck does run pretty rough until it gets warmed up and it smokes like crazy until then. It has plenty of power now but with stock gears and 38s, it is laggy between shifts. I kinda expected that but I think regearing is next. I'll have to get a ladder and take some under hood shots now as the shocker yellow looks pretty good!
I am pushing coolant when I build anything over 30lbs of boost though. I was very hopeful it was just the cap, but the new cap still did the same thing. I know this means the motoe is coming back out but it was fun for 800 miles. I would loose 1/2 gallon of coolant on a 3rd to 4th gear pull so it must me pretty bad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    962.1 KB · Views: 149

michaelite

Reaction score
Are you saying " The truck does run pretty rough until it gets warmed up and it smokes like crazy until then." because of the ccv route or the issue with the coolant?

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
I'm guessing coolant. The ccv blowby seemed normal before I routed it into the exhaust. I will try to get a video up.

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
Carnage! It has been a bit since I posted anything but I haven't driven this thing all year. I had issues with studs or headgaskets and would push coolant out the degas at 28psi of boost. Long story short, I drove the truck to Midwest Diesel from NC to get everything ripped apart and gone through.

They o ringed the heads, re studded the block using a different brand, threw a set of rods at it, changed to a stage 3 midwest cam, and Jared talked me into the precision 6870. While it was there, they also regeared to 4.30s to help turn the 38s.

Now the real fun begins. I flew up there a few weeks ago to pick up the truck, took it for a test run to go fuel up, and begin my drive to NC.
It was awesome! It spooled so much better than the 369, had very minimal smoke output, and held boost through shifts much better. I'm sure the hearing was big as well, but it was awesome. I couldn't stop laughing.

Now for the bad. First off, the failure has NOTHING to do with Midwest. I was 3 hours into my trip home and lost oil pressure very suddenly. Luckily, I was right at an exit ramp and was able to coast to a Walmart pretty easily. Got out, and the front of the motor was covered in oil. The valley was completely dry though, so very curious what happened. From talking to Jared, oil pump failures are extremely rare in the 6.4s, but, that's exactly what happened.

The oil pump was on the motor when I bought it, so shame on me for not replacing it when I was this far in. The truck is back at Midwest and is getting tore back down to start over. Turbo is going back for inspection, bearings are being replaced, and a billet oil pump is going in.

So, the stock motor was in good shape and sold, but this motor has been put together and run in the truck twice, and it's been torn down twice now.

I'm hoping the fourth time is a charm! Haha

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
It just surged a little bit. Was strange enough that I looked down as the oil can from 1940 illuminated on the dash.

Latest posts

Members online