Air intakes.

mstng5point0

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a air intake for my truck. I know No limit is by far the favorite around here. I had one and sold it cause I wasn't a fan of the noise. Is there a way to quiet down an open filter without restricting power? Would an S&b be suffice?

Currently running IDP xtreme street, atlas 40 Kc stage2 and an elite diesel z-maxi intake manifold.

I'd like the power response and egt drop of the no limot but without the noise.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Probably not, that's part of why they flow so well, there's nothing restricting them to cut down on the noise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CJunkie

Reaction score
S&b or afe intakes work well. Don't need all that "supreme high flow" mumbo jumbo. It's not a race truck.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mstng5point0

Reaction score
I ended up order an intake from Rudys performance. eBay had a coupon so I got it for $115 shipped brand new

Looks to be same as the Sinistwr one with 4" aluminum pipe all the way to the turbo and a cone filter

shmoozer

Reaction score
I ended up order an intake from Rudys performance. eBay had a coupon so I got it for $115 shipped brand new

Looks to be same as the Sinistwr one with 4" aluminum pipe all the way to the turbo and a cone filter

You didn’t like the No Limit because of the noise, so you went and bought the exact same style intake only with a 1” smaller diameter? Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me but whatfloats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score
You didn’t like the No Limit because of the noise, so you went and bought the exact same style intake only with a 1” smaller diameter? Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me but whatfloats your boat.

I thought the same thing!

mstng5point0

Reaction score

I felt the same way ordering it. I mostly want to see if i can feel any difference mostly in throttle response and see a difference on my egt gauge. I couldn't beat the price.

Also wondered if i make some sort of shroud to go around the top would it change the noise level at all.

If all else fails i have a friend with an S&B that would trade with me. He wants everything as loud as possible.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody suggested stock. I've read on this forum that it'll flow for around 500 hp. Maybe you're above that.

Wrong, stock intake will not flow enough air to sufficiently support 500hp. The 500hp thing is nothing more than a myth. Stock is good to about 425hp...past that it just can't supply enough air that the turbo demands(especially a larger one) and becomes restrictive. If anyone has ever paid any attention to the filter minder that these trucks are equipped with...you'd notice this. Another reason why some intake brands that have the enclosed box style will suck the filter minder in because the turbo is demanding more air than the filter can actually flow

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've seen numerous trucks with just exhaust and race tune suck the filter minder in at least half way stock airbox and new oem filter. I've also seen trucks with same mods suck it in all the way with the addition of a powermax. There was an instance that I had a truck never suck it in do to a faulty/sticking filter minder

Last edited:

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Ive had multiple aftermarket intakes suck it in more than a stock filter. A nice little trick with the stock set up is to gut a stock filter out for track use. Point is if it was a major restriction i doubt i would have run 12.7 with 155s or run 13.2 with stock sticks.

mstng5point0

Reaction score
My truck with the Kc stage 2 would suck the filter minder in if i laid into it for a few gears. I bought the one in the link i posted a few weeks ago. Egt's seem a little lower and spool up is quicker. I'm happy.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Ive had multiple aftermarket intakes suck it in more than a stock filter. A nice little trick with the stock set up is to gut a stock filter out for track use. Point is if it was a major restriction i doubt i would have run 12.7 with 155s or run 13.2 with stock sticks.
Yes you can still make power and run those times with a stock intake, but that isn't my point. Hell, you can make over 600hp if you wanted with the OEM setup. But why would you want to restrict airflow when the turbo tends to demand more of it at levels about 425hp

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Just did a wot run 0 to 70 peaked 31.2psi of boost popped the hood when i got back and filter minder never moved. Not trying to create a pissing match, just saying

Attachments

• 20180429_154752.jpg
    20180429_154752.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77