oil filter seal blow out/cracking oil reservoir

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
I put up a previous topic about 1 month ago. Where I had a my oil reservoir cracking... Based off the comments, I thought maybe by chance I put the wrong o-ring on. Was also told maybe the wrong hpop gasket could cause it.
I finally got at this the past couple days. I do have the correct gasket and o-ring in. “Almost impossible to **** up”
Thought maybe I was over torquing the bolts, so when I put the new reservoir on I torqued to spec.
The reservoir was cracking on initial start up and not every time just at random. Also same spot.
Now more recently after I replaced my reservoir. And did a fresh oil change with filter. I started my truck. Runs.. didn’t crack the reservoir based off the three starts I have on it. But after each and every start so far. The o-ring on the oil filter keeps blowing out as if way over pressurized. Dumps the oil like crazy. “Within first 5 seconds of starting”
First time it happened thought I doubled the gaskets by being in a rush, or o-ring not being properly sealed “not the case” second time it happened took the filter off, inspected it. Assumed maybe a defect as it looked jacked up. Got new filter, looked perfect. Same thing happened.
I have no idea where to start and I have a good 20 quarts of oil on the ground from this ****.
I feel my cracking oil reservoir and now oil filter seal blowing out are a result of over pressurization.
Before I continue anymore I really need to figure out my problem as to what is causing this.
Furthermore when the reservoir was cracking was during the summertime, was able to finally start working on this just couple days ago. Temps are now well below freezing. Trucks not in a heated shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

keith.ciolkosz

Reaction score
Been doing some research of my own, believe it to be a stuck oil pressure relief valve in the filter housing. Somewhere to start anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online