Hard to turn while parked/while using brake.

bordo380

Reaction score
I need help with my 2001 7.3L 4x4 Excursion.
It’s been lifted 4” and has 20X10 wheels with 35” tires. 275k miles
My steering is so hard to turn while sitting still.
I have replaced the power steering pump now 3 times. Last w/reman motorcraft, and Hydroboost w/Cardone.
Steering Box w/ Red Head: Now On 2nd one since it’s first seemed so tight.
What else is there? My lines or bad hydro boost?
I’ve had the lines on the bench and they are clear.

Also I just spent $1k at a local Diesel 4x4 shop trying to fix it as well. In the end they gave up after replacing every steering component with motor craft parts. Tie rods/ball joints ect. All new. Even added castor cams to get it aligned properly.

On the highway it’s nice but backing a trailer is terrible. Can’t get more than a 1/4 turn sitting still.

Help!!!!!!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Watch your brake pedal as you try to turn, does it go down as you turn? Mine used to do that, and I found out that is a symptom of there being a restriction in the hydroboost, most likely some crud.. after a couple of flushings and putting a filter in the return side, mine doesn't do it anymore... took me a lot of digging to find out why my brake pedal went down as I turned the wheel lol

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that the gear box on the older trucks is big enough. Even with wider 33s and a low mile engine ect mine would not steer sitting still.

I did upgrade my 06 to a 15 style gearbox and it is worlds better than before. I don't know if you can retro that far back with a leaf spring front end or not

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
I honestly do think that the gear box on the older trucks is big enough. Even with wider 33s and a low mile engine ect mine would not steer sitting still.

I did upgrade my 06 to a 15 style gearbox and it is worlds better than before. I don't know if you can retro that far back with a leaf spring front end or not

I think it would be fairly easy to get a newer box on if we could find a taper insert to fit the 99-04 draglink to the 05 up pitman arm. And I totally agree with you that the 99-04 just really aren’t big enough. You can get them better, but never like a newer truck feel.

dmd

Reaction score
I just always let it roll some when doing any turning.. Maybe I have just given
up on the issue.. Probably from having cars with no power steering.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Imo, it's not really an issue with the box, because most of the time I can turn my 38x15.50s.. its definitely not 2 fingers, but it turns.. I think your hydroboost might have some crud in it.. just my 2 pesos

dsberman94

Reaction score
I have a new power steering pump last year and a new steering box 2 years ago. I have this problem. I have replaced 1 of the high pressure lines also due to it snapping when replacing the box. I haven’t noticed if the brake pedal drops when turning. I remember reading a bunch about bad steering pumps right out of the box and figured that was the issue. I don’t really drive it enough for it to bother me but if a solution is found I’d fix mine.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I've found the solution to the power steering pump problem on the 7.3.. the e series got the same pump that is used on the later model trucks, which doesn't whine, and it's supposed to be a lot better.. bonus in my book is it has a remote reservoir instead of an integral one... the bracket is different from the trucks, but this year, I'm gonna bite the bullet and see how feasible it is to do.. just gotta find an e series in the junkyard, and have them pluck it out with the bracket and all

bordo380

Reaction score
I’m so glad everyone had some advice or thoughts on this. It drives me crazy.
I too think it’s the hydroboost except it’s new..
It’s a reman Dorman which I was told only to buy Motorcraft b/c even if reman they replace everything when others don’t.
My friend asked if I had the lines backwards and I don’t think it’s possible... thoughts?

I’m interested in the E series pump idea. What year do I look for?

Last though is would modifying the spring in the pump to increase the pressure be an idea, or would this make the hwy squirrelly.....

Well I’m glad someone’s works like it’s supposed too. I wasn’t sure. :)

Last edited:

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
From my research, it's the years that had the 7.3 powerstroke, so like 94-2003.. I can't say if the reservoir wouldn't have clearance issues or not, but for all intents and purposes, it *should* bolt up.. again, haven't had the time to try it myself, but I will this coming year..

I've never read anything good about people who have used dorman hydroboosts.. always seem to be plagued with problems..

I can turn mine when I'm sitting still.. and I have 38x15.50s on my truck.. my truck used to have similar symptoms as yours, until I noticed one day that when I was making a turn at full lock, my truck stopped like I hit the brakes, but I didn't.. the hydroboost had some crud in it or something.. I'll see if I can find the article, or maybe it was an excerpt from the factory service manual, but it said that hydroboosts do that when the internal passages are restricted...

I'll see what I can dig up, I know your frustrations bro

Last edited:

bordo380

Reaction score
From my research, it's the years that had the 7.3 powerstroke.. I can't say if the reservoir wouldn't have clearance issues or not, but for all intents and purposes, it *should* bolt up.. again, haven't had the time to try it myself, but I will this coming year..

I've never read anything good about people who have used dorman hydroboosts.. always seem to be plagued with problems..

I can turn mine when I'm sitting still.. and I have 38x15.50s on my truck.. my truck used to have similar symptoms as yours, until I noticed one day that when I was making a turn at full lock, my truck stopped like I hit the brakes, but I didn't.. the hydroboost had some crud in it or something.. I'll see if I can find the article, or maybe it was an excerpt from the factory service manual, but it said that hydroboosts do that when the internal passages are restricted...

I'll see what I can dig up, I know your frustrations bro

Well dang. I might toss that dorman hydro then. Might as well do the lines too. Heck everything else has been changed. Lol

co04cobra

Reaction score
Are the front axle joints new? Definitely toss the dorman unit. If the hydro boost lines were crossed you would barely be able to drive it and brake pedal would kick back at you.

I remember reading one time there was a place that would port the hydro units but can’t remember where that was. Might be worth looking into as well.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that the gear box on the older trucks is big enough. Even with wider 33s and a low mile engine ect mine would not steer sitting still.

What's up D? Been a minute since i have seen you on here! Glad you're still kickin around!

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Definitely check the front axle u joints or replace them.

I wouldn't use dorman anything on a superduty. Stick with motorcraft regardless.. or pay for it twice...

Or just don't stop moving when backing up. Lol

live life full throttle

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
Did you ever check to see if your pedal was going down as you were turning? Mine did and after a couple of flushes, it hasn't done it since.. from what I've read, it's a symptom of the return line being clogged/restricted

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’d be interested if someone had a link for using the e series pump and remote reservoir. My t4 piping has a slight interference fit with the hydro boost res now. U pull it hard near me had a bunch of 7.3 e series last time I was there.

Latest posts

Members online