Fuel Bowl Rebuilt, Now Fuel Pressure Is Way Too High (100PSI!)

NMPowerstroke

Reaction score
So some backstory on my issue:

I was driving my 2000 F250 to work one morning and got a few strong whiffs of diesel and figured I must have a fuel leak, but when I parked at work I didn't see it dripping on the ground, so I figured it must not be that bad of a leak. By the time I got home after work, it was dumping fuel everywhere on the ground. I popped the hood and saw the classic valley full of diesel.

I had replaced the original fuel drain valve O-rings (still had the yellow PTFE sealant) with Viton® O-rings back in 2015 and figured I might as well rebuild the entire fuel bowl this time so hopefully I won't have to deal with anymore fuel leak issues for a good long while.

I ordered a complete fuel bowl rebuild kit from Riff Raff with the blue fluorosilicone drain valve O-rings in addition to a brand new OEM fuel pressure regulator rebuild kit to get a new poppet valve seal.

I completely tore down the fuel bowl to the bare housing per the DieselOrings.com rebuild guide, and cleaned it up with some carb cleaner and brushes. I used some Gasoila® thread sealant on the brass fittings and torqued them to the spec in the rebuild guide. I followed the reassembly instructions and coated all the new O-rings in diesel before installing them, as well ensuring the yellow PTFE sealant was 100% removed, and torquing all the Torx screws down to 22 inLbs. I also made sure the FPR spring was correctly seated.

Now my fuel pressure is 75-100+PSI and it is blowing diesel past just about every seal on the bowl. I tore it all back down and didn't find any issues, and had the same issue after I reinstalled it all. I blew air through the return line and could hear it bubble up in the tank. I pulled the spring from the FPR and see 5-10 PSI on my gauge, but it quickly bleeds off once the fuel pump shuts off. I am not sure if this is normal or indicative of some kind of blockage, but I followed the return line back to the tank and didn't see any damage or other issues that would arouse suspicion.

I am at my wits end with this and I can't figure out how to fix this short of installing some sort of aftermarket fuel system. The bowl is pretty simple so I don't see what I am missing that is causing this issue. My truck has been down for weeks (busy with work and the holidays) and I really need it back on the road now.

Latest posts

Members online