87 f250 6.0

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Ok so my buddy has an 87 f250 with a gutless carbutated 460 and his oil pump just went out. It ain't worth going through all the work to fix an engine that doesn't have the balls to spin one tire on a wet road and will only go 65 mph :fustrate: so we're wanting to put a 6.0 in it. He has a hydrolocked 05 (I think) f350 with the zf6 sitting in his front yard. We know it's gonna be a real pain in the d!ck to do it, but we have the whole truck that ran and drove fine until it popped a head gasket and then hydrolocked when his brother forgot something when fixing it. We figure the hardest part is gonna be getting the factory guages to work with it. What's you guys thoughts? P.S. anyone that says to cummins swsp it instead will be ignored.

co04cobra

Reaction score
We could the swap for him in our shop if he's serious about it. We aren't to far from PA. You can PM me if interested.

Swaps like these are very time consuming. I would also suggest putting the SD axles under 87.

psduser1

Reaction score
1ofakind79 could probably give you some pointers, if he cared to. He's done a couple conversions.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
co04cobra- he wants to do it himself plus he doesn't have the money to pay someone else to do it. Doing it himself is gonna be expensive enough for him. I'm gonna see if I can talk him into the axle swap, I tough of that last night after I posted this. If he doesnt, then I'll buy them to put under my truck.

Gwunter- because he loves this truck and we've never seen a swap like this, which is why he's not gonna put a cummins in it because everyone who blows the engine in their old ford does a cummins swap.

psduser- thanks I'll look him up

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
vinny himes did this conversion about 7-8 yrs ago, not sure on what he did for the gauges though

sootie

Reaction score
You will need to run the 6.0 cluster and engine harness etc

Rubenk

Reaction score
Put the 87 body on the super duty frame, keep the dash and gauges and **** as much super duty as possible.

Wiring nightmare i'm sure.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Haha he's gonna keep as much of the 87 as possible. His brother in law told him to go to a place called painless something and they can build him the wiring to keep the factory dash. His dad is gonna take the truck after he's done and swap a 7.3 into it so he can't have the axles. But he has an 90s model one ton which he can rob the solid front axle and suspension from.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Painless wiring is who your friend was talking about. I'd be surprised if they can help you with the project with anything but a "universal" kit.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
New development; the super duty is apparently still his dad's until his dad gets a 7.3 super duty or a rebuilt 7.3 to put into that super duty. So it's gonna be a bit before we can even get to start sadly.

Are the dually axles wider than srw axles? If not then I may get them and a few other parts from the 6.0 superduty for my truck.

Latest posts

Members online