6.0 power steering pump upgrade

old man dave

Reaction score
If you use a truck pump will the truck pulley work or does it absolutely have to be a pulley from a van?

Got4wd says the OBS, SD and the 6.0 truck pulleys DO NOT WORK. Dorman aftermarket does not make a replacement van 7.3 pulley.

Dealer obsolete, none available.

The van used a 6.0 style pump on an 7.3 OBS style engine bracket, so its a factory morphodite.

Junkyard only. Got4wd said there were several at the junkyards in his area, so a little legwork should pay off in other regions.

The good news is no one is out there looking for them yet.....

Last edited:

97strokerHD

Reaction score
If I'm not running hydroboost would it be as simple as capping off the hydroboost lines on the pump to make it work correctly?

joedown

Reaction score

TexasJ

Reaction score
Source for pulley

Hey guys, I have found a source where you can get the pulleys for this swap. I managed to find one of the original ford pulley's, and before I put it on the pump I went to my local cnc machine shop so they could mic it out and make copies. I had them make two additional pulleys for me (I like to have backups) and I asked them to keep the measurements on file so they can make more in the future. It wasn't cheap, but if any of you want to do this swap and can't find the pulley's at the junkyard feel free to give them a call and they can make them for you. You don't even have to send them an original to replicate because they already have the measurements on file from me. It's Pressworks Maximum in Forney, TX. (30 minutes east of Dallas) Call 972-564-4229 and ask for the power steering pulley, the phone will ring through to Amy 24hrs. They do a lot of small orders for obsolete parts so they can do other stuff too if you send them an original to measure. I'll post pics of the finished pulleys too.

P.S. I'm not making anything off of this, just wanted to help them out by helping you guys out.

TexasJ

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the original next to the two copies. One is upside down to show the rear.

Attachments

• 20181002_110554.jpg
    20181002_110554.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138

TexasJ

Reaction score
Finished

Some pics of my finished project. I can definitely feel an improvement. I don't have hydroboost so I just welded together a custom bracket and mounted the resevoir next to the ac compressor. It all went together very nicely. Big thanks to Got4wd for all his help!!

Attachments

• 20181010_140724.jpg
    20181010_140724.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
  • 20181007_123555.jpg
    20181007_123555.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175

TexasJ

Reaction score
Hey just got this. Let me check my receipt and see how much I paid. I'll check it when I gwt home in a few hours. Alternatively you can call them and get an estimate too. They answer 24 hrs

TexasJ

Reaction score
Do you have a guestimate of the price of that pulley if i ordered through them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ok I just checked my records. They charged me $50/hr and 117.87 per piece of steel. I had them make 2 pulleys so total cost for me was $485.74. Now that's with them charging 4&1/2 hrs of labor (2&1/4 hrs per pulley), but it actually took a little longer than that. Therefore it may be a little more expensive for you if they factor in additional labor time.

Lara

Reaction score
Does the return line from the hydroboost have to connect to the bigger hose of the reservoir or the smaller one, if it even matters?

obstowrig

Reaction score
Is the bracket that mounts this pump and the ac unit the same from a 6.0
van engine? anyone have the bracket and correct van pulley that they want to sell for a reasonable price?

Last edited:

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I found one on FB market place. Bracket, pump and pulley but the pump was shot.

So keep an eye on marketplace. They still pop up from time to time.

Latest posts

Members online