6.0 MPG increase???

ezzyke

Reaction score
Ok so I have had my 07 ccsb 4x4 for a few months got 127k miles on it. It is getting an average of 12.5 MPG. I have an edge mileage max which really didn't change anything. Banks ram air with zoodad mod, and straight pipe exhaust 4 inch turbo back. I was just looking for some input on getting more MPG out of it. I know it will never get 7.3 mileage but it's got to get better than this. Will an EGR delete increase mileage? I know there are some other tuners out there like SCT that can do custom tunes. I dont really tow enough to need tons of power I am more looking for eficency.
Sorry if I was long winded but I just didn't want someone busting my balls for not putting running info on here. Any input would be great help. Thanks in advance

STROKER

Reaction score
i would try a SCT with custom tunes, talk to the tuner and tell them your goals for the truck and im sure youll be pleased

ezzyke

Reaction score
Any suggestions of custom tuners? SCT list a tuner that comes without any programs. Just need to find a reputable tuner I guess. I really want 20 MPG on the highway but that seems to be wishfull thinking.

Atsah

Reaction score
EGR delete won't help with mpg's.. I get 18mpg all around driving with a stock 2003 6.0 CCLB dually. 12.5 for a 6.0 is pretty low.. My 7.3 didn't get any better than either one of my 6.0's.. My guess is the way you drive it and the type of roads you drive is the reason your mileage is so low.. :shrug:

ezzyke

Reaction score
I do drive in town pretty much all the time and only about 10 miles a day to and from work. I think I am going to pull the edge mileage max box and see if it changes any. I put it on about a week after I got the truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Get all the deletes done and stud that thing. That'll get potential problems ixnayed. Tuner isnt going to help here, sorry. I can see some of the stock emissions garbage getting in the way as you already stated. Next Id look at aerodynamics as you're pushing an 8k lb brick through the atmosphere(gas). Ive heard that tonneau covers help but they dont in my mind, from an engineering standpoint anyway. I think for rear drag to be taken out of the equation you'd need to build a fairing(kinda like a spoiler) around the rear of the cab. If you're picturing some sci-fi looking bs around the rear of your cab you're getting the right idea.

If you arent into changing the 'normal' look of your truck then my other suggestion would be to make sure your tires are aired up to the MAXIMUM psi on the sidewall of your tires(Id probably go 10% higher). Your ram air isnt going to do chit. Plain and simple. If you're looking for mpg then you should only be stepping on the throttle hard enough to accelerate ever so slightly.

Im not being a smartass, so please take that into consideration when you read my next statements. Air up your tires, ditch the emissions bs(egr delete and headstuds), change all your fluids to new synthetics, change your filters(fuel&air), and remove EVERYTHING from the truck you dont need. Additionally, you need to make sure your brakes arent dragging. Id suggest going to manual hubs as well. Wheel bearings get serviced every 5k miles?

In your situation air intakes, aftermarket exhausts(unless you have a cat and muffler), and electronic tuning arent gonna do sh!t for your mpg's. The best advice is as light of throttle as is possible. Thats then only way to get mpg's in anything.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I do drive in town pretty much all the time and only about 10 miles a day to and from work.

There ya go! Thats your biggest problem. The truck is just getting up to operating temps at which point you are shutting it off. When you first start any ICE powered vehicle, that is the worst point in its efficiency. Driving heats up all the driveline fluids which takes some parasitic load off the engine.

Next point, in your signature it says you have 35" tires, thats in direct opposition to you getting even decent mpgs unless you are on a highway cruising at 65, at which point it'll help lower your cruising rpms. Whats your rear diff gear ratio?

ezzyke

Reaction score
Rear diff is 3.73 stock gears and I try to keep it under 2k rpms on the interstate.I also have a undercover bed cover and nothing in the bed. I have swapped everything over to synthetic and replaced every filter in the truck. If I had a lift at work that would pick up the cab I would have done the Studs already. Being I work on BMW's we don't really have anything designed to work on this giant. I just see all our diesels at work getting over 30mpg in a heavy ass suv and it kills me! I know the tires are not helping any but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Rear diff is 3.73 stock gears and I try to keep it under 2k rpms on the interstate.I also have a undercover bed cover and nothing in the bed. I have swapped everything over to synthetic and replaced every filter in the truck. If I had a lift at work that would pick up the cab I would have done the Studs already. Being I work on BMW's we don't really have anything designed to work on this giant. I just see all our diesels at work getting over 30mpg in a heavy ass suv and it kills me! I know the tires are not helping any but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them.

What speed are you going at 2k rpms in o/d?

3.73's should be perfect for mpgs with a 35" tire. Id check your wheelbearings and brakes for drag.

What diesels do you have at work that are in an 8klb suv that are getting 30mpgs?

I go back to my previous statement about you not driving far enough to get optimal mpgs from a diesel.

ezzyke

Reaction score
The x5 3.5 d is our new 6 cylinder diesel. They don't weigh 8k pounds but are heavy as hell, awd and run some heavy 20 inch runflats. We have customers getting around 34mpg highway some getting more. I can run 70 mph at around 1900rpm. Driving about 75 miles one way this afternoon longest trip with the new tires have to see how it does.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
The x5 3.5 d is our new 6 cylinder diesel. They don't weigh 8k pounds but are heavy as hell, awd and run some heavy 20 inch runflats. We have customers getting around 34mpg highway some getting more. I can run 70 mph at around 1900rpm. Driving about 75 miles one way this afternoon longest trip with the new tires have to see how it does.

I bet that it weighs atleast 2k less than our trucks and the runflats can't weigh that much more that a set of 35s. Not to mention the drivetrain has probably half the weight as ours.

My 05 gets around 19-20 running on flat ground @ 70

ezzyke

Reaction score
It weighs around 6900 gross weight but also only has 300lbs ft of torque to get it moving.

ezzyke

Reaction score
The only thing that gets me is a good friend of mine has a 99 ccsb with a six inch lift and 35's. We took it from GA to New Orleans about 9 hours with an average of 22 mpg. We cruised 70 the whole way with the ac cranked and 4 people in the truck. Not sure what gears he has but if i remember correctly he is running 4:10's with a bone stock 7.3 with straight pipe exhaust. I want that guess I should have bought his from him.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I doubt he got 22. The lie-o said 22? Or he calculated it that way?

I have tanks of fuel after servicing that tickle 20mpg's but it drops down to 17 ish after a couple hundred miles of the service. Im on a 6"/37's btw. I have custom tuning too. I dont go 70 either! Its easy to get pissed about what someone else is getting for mileage. My friend Kyle's e99 f350 sc/lb was getting 10 all winter. He was crying about it the one day so I said "Switch me trucks for a couple days." I noticed nothing. It got the same mileage I was getting in mine even though it wasnt lifted.

He gave mine back and goes "I guess its normal. Yours used as much fuel as mine does in two days." He used a half a tank to drive 40 miles!! I said "WTF were you doing?" He starts the truck in dead cold weather and drives it nine miles and shuts it off! Sits in it at lunch time with it running. DUH!! No wonder its guzzling fuel.

Look at what you're doing with it. If you drive five minutes to work a diesel truck isnt your ideal match.

Just something to note!

ezzyke

Reaction score
I doubt he got 22. The lie-o said 22? Or he calculated it that way?

I have tanks of fuel after servicing that tickle 20mpg's but it drops down to 17 ish after a couple hundred miles of the service. Im on a 6"/37's btw. I have custom tuning too. I dont go 70 either! Its easy to get pissed about what someone else is getting for mileage. My friend Kyle's e99 f350 sc/lb was getting 10 all winter. He was crying about it the one day so I said "Switch me trucks for a couple days." I noticed nothing. It got the same mileage I was getting in mine even though it wasnt lifted.

He gave mine back and goes "I guess its normal. Yours used as much fuel as mine does in two days." He used a half a tank to drive 40 miles!! I said "WTF were you doing?" He starts the truck in dead cold weather and drives it nine miles and shuts it off! Sits in it at lunch time with it running. DUH!! No wonder its guzzling fuel.

Look at what you're doing with it. If you drive five minutes to work a diesel truck isnt your ideal match.

Just something to note!

Just something for you to note buddy. I didn't ask you what I should drive to work every day. I asked how to get better mileage from my truck.
If you don't have any suggestions on better fuel economy then don't throw in your 2 cents.

ezzyke

Reaction score
Oh and I calculated the mileage because at the time I was going to buy it from him. So I know what the truck was getting on that particular trip.

bad moose

Reaction score
Air intake will only gain about .5 mpg exhaust about .5 mpg. The edge evolution on the hot setting gained me 1.0 mpg. I started to use the edge evo as gauges and went with the SCT X3 innovative tuned with the agressive street at first and that gained about 2.0 mpg. I'm now using the extreme street which gained a litttle better than the aggressive street. My truck is 2wd ccx King Ranch. I started with 15 to 16 mpg highway. I am now at a consistent 19.5 mpg highway and 15 to 16 mpg city. I mainly have changed my driving habits. I try to keep it around 2000rpm on the highway. Little ol ladies even pass me now, but I get better milage.

I personally think that anybody getting over 19.5 mpg is full of it. I've tried and tried but I just can't acheive it. In the city it is not going to happen.

I may start looking if there is something else wrong though. 12.5 mpg seems a little low. I have a friend that gets about 15 to 16 mpg with his 4wd cc. local and hwy.

ezzyke

Reaction score
I don't expect it in the city. I drove all highway last night and got 16.8 over close to 100 miles round trip. I filled up at the same station I always do and filled up again at the same staion and pump stoped at the first click same as earlier. I kept it at 70 with cruise on the whole way getting passed the entire time. No flats roads around here either you are going up a hill or down a hill. I still think it can better with some work.

PSDnate

Reaction score
Did you recalibrate your speedo after going with bigger tires? I didn't read the whole thread just skimmed it so if it was asked already sorry. I would think that would thro your numbers off. I went from 33's that I had recalibrated with my sct to 35's and didn't recalibrate yet and my speedo is off so I should be going more miles than what is shown. Am I right on that? Correct me if I'm wrong.

ezzyke

Reaction score
It is off about 2 mph according to my GPS at 70. The factory Goodyears that came off of it were only about 1 inch shorter than the Nitto 35"s I put on it. They are allot wider though.

Latest posts

Members online