Cold no start issue when sitting awhile

D66stroke

Reaction score
We have a 03 7.3, if the truck sits for a couple days or more, it doesn't want to start. Sometimes it eventually starts, sometimes ether gets it going (I know I know..), and sometimes ether won't even fire it over. Once it starts, it will run fine and start anytime you need it as long as it's within a day or so of it running. So far whenever I plug the Auto Enginuity into it to watch ICP and IPR duty cycle, it fires right up, of course. I did get an ICP code (P1211 I think it was) but I think that was from emptying the oil rails on a hard pull. New parts are HPOP and IPR, ICP sensor, 3 sets of injectors, UVCH's, the list goes on. All OEM parts aside from injectors which are aftermarket. I tested fuel pressure a couple years ago due to another issue and it was within spec, 60+ psi at idle. I'll look at it again to confirm. Any ideas what I may have going on? It also recently got a new oil pan and this issue started happening after that, so I'm hoping it doesn't have something to do with the pickup tube.

psduser1

Reaction score
When mine sits for an extended time, more than a couple weeks, I'll have to crank it over long enough to refill the oil rails. It runs rough for a bit, but smooths out after a bit.
Just a thought.

D66stroke

Reaction score
I never thought about watching voltage. It cranks fast though, new starter and newer batteries. It won’t start on 90° days so the glow plug system is kind of out of the equation. It does have a new Western relay on it

Big Bore

Reaction score
Did you ever check the fuel pressure? Did you check ICP/IPR when it wouldn't start? GP and relay shouldn't matter in 90* weather. Usually something like you're describing is an injector o-ring problem.

tomlin

Reaction score
Keep it simple. This is what I mean by that statement. When you are adding ether you are bypassing the injectors, HPOP, PCM, diesel fuel, oil, all of it. You are feeding ether into a compression ignition engine. It should start and then immediately die every time it gets a squirt. If it will not start and die with ether, your either not getting air or you have a serious low compression issue. You risk blowing the intake or heads off playing with ether with the GP relay connected so be careful with the juice.

Latest posts

Members online