Supporting power mods

50_shooter

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a windowed block with a non vgt? I think every failure I've read about was either a vgt not tuned right or twins. I've heard a lot of people say it's not a good idea to cross the 600hp threshold with stock rods, but I haven't heard about a failure for a while. I will soon find out if I can find someone to put this precision kit on.

6.7powerstroke

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a windowed block with a non vgt? I think every failure I've read about was either a vgt not tuned right or twins. I've heard a lot of people say it's not a good idea to cross the 600hp threshold with stock rods, but I haven't heard about a failure for a while. I will soon find out if I can find someone to put this precision kit on.

I think your kit will be just fine with good tunes

Reaction score

Yes, there has been plenty of non vgt rods let go. Just heard of a 2015 on single pump with a 468 let got.

It takes cylinder pressure to make power, cylinder pressure also breaks rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67boost

Reaction score
Y'all are really making me sad here..

Looks like my daily might just have to stay just that. A daily..

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
At what power level?

Low 600s.

My point is just because every truck doesn't pop right away, doesn't mean it won't. There is no foolproof safe set up over 550HP.

Tuning is big, that is true, but tiny little connecting rods are the variable.

40PSI of back pressure @ 30PSI of boost on our shop truck at 1.7MS bent 8 rods in 73 miles. First 3/4 throttle blip the truck starting knocking. Mangled them.

That's about as conservative as it gets tuning wise, literally a modded tow calibration. Yes. The truck had 64/74-80/88 compounds, no vgt in the equation, stock injectors, twin pumps.

What I'm saying is it makes me sick to my stomach when all these people claim that you can beat on your 60K truck @ 600, 650, 700 with peace of mind for days on end and not have to worry.

Guys like Dan Seitler, Dillehay, & Tadd may have been lucky with theirs for some time, but there are also trucks like Craig's, Josh's, and the stock deleted truck with a bent rod at my shop that say otherwise.

Just my .02 on it.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
WTF, you just get the truck and are already wanting 700hp?? Why don't you try it with a gearhead tune and delete first? That's good for just shy of 500hp/1000ft-lbs.

I'm towing a 34' toyhauler and can literally spin the tires if I want even though the hitch has 2500lbs on it (yea, I know, too much.)
It'll climb any grade at any speed I want.

There comes a point where you have to say "how much do I really need in my daily driver?"

Your '11 will hold up around 550 safely. That's a tune, delete, mild-mid turbo mod.

To reach 700, you'll def need rods. Since you are going to do a full teardown to do that, might as well go nutz when you do: port, polish, compounds, dual fuel, ad nausium.

In the meantime, try it w/ a good tune & delete. I think you'll be very surprised how hard it'll pull.

dseitler

Reaction score
Guys like Dan Seitler, Dillehay, & Tadd may have been lucky with theirs for some time, but there are also trucks like Craig's, Josh's, and the stock deleted truck with a bent rod at my shop that say otherwise.

Just my .02 on it.[/QUOTE]

That might be true but my truck does not have a 371 Turbo with Big Injectors and cannot compare with others that have failed with 467 or 472 Turbo's either. I do not know of one truck 11-15 with a 367 Turbo with or without Duel Fuel pumps that has failed. Mine will be first.

67boost

Reaction score
WTF, you just get the truck and are already wanting 700hp?? Why don't you try it with a gearhead tune and delete first? That's good for just shy of 500hp/1000ft-lbs.

I'm towing a 34' toyhauler and can literally spin the tires if I want even though the hitch has 2500lbs on it (yea, I know, too much.)
It'll climb any grade at any speed I want.

There comes a point where you have to say "how much do I really need in my daily driver?"

Your '11 will hold up around 550 safely. That's a tune, delete, mild-mid turbo mod.

To reach 700, you'll def need rods. Since you are going to do a full teardown to do that, might as well go nutz when you do: port, polish, compounds, dual fuel, ad nausium.

In the meantime, try it w/ a good tune & delete. I think you'll be very surprised how hard it'll pull.

As much as I completely agree with you, I know myself too well. I told myself my Cummins would stay relatively stock, and well now it breathes nitrous:shrug:

I know I will just want more and more power, so may as well quench the thirst the first time. But with this information, I'm rethinking a little bit. Up right now are wheels and tires in the next few days. After that, I probably will just do a mild tune and a '15 turbo. We'll see.

Reaction score

Just my .02 on it.

That might be true but my truck does not have a 371 Turbo with Big Injectors and cannot compare with others that have failed with 467 or 472 Turbo's either. I do not know of one truck 11-15 with a 367 Turbo with or without Duel Fuel pumps that has failed. Mine will be first.

I know of more than one 366 truck that has let go.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Okay so since its hit or miss on how quickly or just a matter of time before rods go to bending, how much would it cost to get some better rods put in? And while its torn apart is there anything else that would be a worthwhile upgrade since its torn apart that much?
I don't exactly feel like blowing my DD up just because I didn't do rods soon enough.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I know of more than one 366 truck that has let go.

its really crazy what the TSD truck has done. made 685, a **** ton of 11 second passes on the ED 366 . testament to tuning, or good fortune ? mine only made 600 on the nose with 35's , prolly 625+ on a stock height truck, and I kicked the dogsnot out of it. no rules, just right . I tell people they stand no chance over 700 , anything over 600 is a gamble .

sootie

Reaction score
its really crazy what the TSD truck has done. made 685, a **** ton of 11 second passes on the ED 366 . testament to tuning, or good fortune ? mine only made 600 on the nose with 35's , prolly 625+ on a stock height truck, and I kicked the dogsnot out of it. no rules, just right . I tell people they stand no chance over 700 , anything over 600 is a gamble .

Whats all done to the TSD truck?

Latest posts

Members online