What battery to use?

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Everyone,

I tried to search for this answer and was not able to find anything on here. Maybe because it is dumb, but wanted to ask.

I'm ready to wire up my winch to my 2012 F-250. Is there a battery that is better to hook up too? Winches pull a lot of juice.

Thanks,
Colt

kjdavis

Reaction score
I've always been happy with Optima deep cycle batteries. I use them in my Jeep with the winch and it hasn't let me down...I run a blue top in the Jeep.

I've got dual yellow tops in my F350. First pair lasted 8 years before I needed to replace them. Pretty good for any battery.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Yea, Optimas are great. I had one in my Jeep as well.

Forgive me, but I don't think I worded my original post correctly! I meant what battery under the hood to use. As in the drivers or passenger side.

I ask because years ago, worked out of an old F-SuperDuty Custom. It was picky on what battery an accessory was hooked up too. My guess is the new ones are not. Just wanted to make sure.

kjdavis

Reaction score
Ah....I could have mis-read your post!

All of my accessories are hooked up to the Driver's side. Mainly because that's where the wires going back to the switches are on the firewall. Not sure if one battery is better over the other, but in 8 years Ive had no issues.

mustube

Reaction score
Optimas used to be good. Johnson controls moved production to mexico and warranty rates went way up.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Spatel23

Reaction score
Last Optima I had was a flaming pile of sh!t

Switched to Diehard Platinums and all was well

Odyssey batteries are also great.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
X2 for the Odyssey's.

Ran them in our jet-ski's and sleds for a long time now. Great batteries. Took the optima outta my boat for one. Another brand I've had great results with is Deka's.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Best are the Odysseys and Platinum Diehards... Virgin lead but at that HIGH cost

Second best IMO and killer warranty and price is the Cost coy batteries

JCart

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the Diehard Platinum's were re-badged Odysseys.

^^^^^^They are as far as I know. I'd go that route if you live in USA. Not practical for me as can't readily get them in Western Canada so have gone with Optimas with excellent service from them. Also helps to have a CTeck charger to recondition/charge old ones.

jrc

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I ended up hooking the winch up to the drivers side. Have pulled myself & others out with not battery drain issues. Just let the truck idle while winching.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
It should be fine. I don't know if the 6.7's are the same as the 6.4's but the passenger side battery has the lead going down to the starter.

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Following up a bit more on an old thread.... I ended up getting two Optima red tops because they were a good deal. Now that I've got more larger accessories, I wish I'd have gotten the yellow tops. I didn't realize Optima went to Mexico... I may go a different route next time. The battery charge protection works good keeping the batteries up under heavy load though I may need to run a second set of cables between the batteries to get less heat building up at the terminals.