Crankcase repair

ja_cain

Reaction score
Crankcase repair I did for the neighbor boy's four wheeler after it threw the chain. Should have baked it for a few hours in the oven as it would have been a bit easier to weld cleanly but so far it has been holding up with no leakage. That cast aluminum is just so bloody porous and really needs a thorough cleaning then baked for a while to get nice results on the first go.

ed989f3938ef141a84ce2b3f3c073949.jpg

fc2081d191b138a967db5139f67b2c92.jpg

dbdbd51eaa4ff44d3ddb9907dfcf6926.jpg

Don't worry, I also welded the back side too but forgot to get a pic. I feal like i should have beveled the edges more so i could garantee good penetration but didn't have enough time to fuss with it. Anyone else done any crankcase or oil soaked welding repair jobs?

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
That's what JB Weld is for, lol.
Never used it. I'm assuming it's some type of epoxy. It was good to get some experience trying to tig nasty contaminated aluminum. It really wasn't that bad and kind of had fun doing it even though I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate.

ja_cain

Reaction score
You'd be good at welding up 7.3 pedestals

I have thought about trying to gather up some to do EBPV deletes and then reselling them. I should have one done once it warms up a little. Do you think there would be any takers if I can supply real nice photos of the work?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I have thought about trying to gather up some to do EBPV deletes and then reselling them. I should have one done once it warms up a little. Do you think there would be any takers if I can supply real nice photos of the work?

I'm sure some would buy em, if you could do it cheaper than a delete pedestal costs.

jngreen

Reaction score
jb weld is just a band aid , it wouldn't do anything for a hole that size on dirty metal

I was only partially joking, but I'm just as impressed with his patch as I am his welding. It looks like the repair will outlast the life of the ATV.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I was only partially joking, but I'm just as impressed with his patch as I am his welding. It looks like the repair will outlast the life of the ATV.

it should , i hate welding on dirty surfaces , like fixing a hole on the bottom of a vw bus trans , terrible

Latest posts

Members online