6.7 and FTE resonator??

16PS250

Reaction score
video 4" flo-pro fully de***** sounds good, made in mexico. ;-).

https://youtu.be/99DcXSlHflg

Check out the link below I have to open the house door to make sure its running when using auto start due to how quiet it is. No drone that I ahve noticed and I have been this way for over 10K milws. Yes I am a gringo just fimled in mexico for legalty.

Not to loud not to quiet. I will answer all questions than I can. I did tons of researcg and have had this for over 10K miles.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well.

SUPER HAPPY....

Installed the 40" donaldson with a 17" FTE resonator.... very QUIET. Extremely happy!! Has a odd sound when at full boost it didn't have before but I'm positive it's the noise frequency rolling, literally, through the FTE....

The sound at the tip is probably reduced atleast 65% over straight pipe... running in the garage doesn't even bother me. It certainly still has the "I'm not stock and I'm deIeted note" it's just very reasonable now.

Will be towing heavy next week with enclosed gooseneck, we shall see....

I also threw on the stock wheels and tires for a positive feedback on exhaust noise reduction... only problem is I enjoy how quiet it is so much I cannot even begin to force myself to put the Toyos/BMF combo back on!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Towed heavy. Did great. Super quiet.

Question for anyone that has this combo or thoughts.

I have an odd whistle that is not consistent with the conbo... anyone else. I've searched for leaks and find none.

It sounds like one of whirly tubes. Can't figure out exactly what it is. It doesn't really bother me just wondering if anyone else has the same noise.

sootie

Reaction score
Towed heavy. Did great. Super quiet.

Question for anyone that has this combo or thoughts.

I have an odd whistle that is not consistent with the conbo... anyone else. I've searched for leaks and find none.

It sounds like one of whirly tubes. Can't figure out exactly what it is. It doesn't really bother me just wondering if anyone else has the same noise.

whats the part number for your donaldson? also, i have a shrill whistle just as boost is coming on that either goes away or gets drowned by compressor noise. recently did my setup and cant see where any leaks would be

CATDiezel

Reaction score
whats the part number for your donaldson? also, i have a shrill whistle just as boost is coming on that either goes away or gets drowned by compressor noise. recently did my setup and cant see where any leaks would be

M085171. 4" in/out. I also have a MBRP dual tip... reason I mention that is there could be a vacuum effect taking place on the front tip.

But the shrill or noise is unique. It's not linear or consistent. Mine also goes away.

It's not a show stopper for me... just wanted confirmation I wasn't the only one before I waste time looking for a leak that is not visible.

I even put my stock intake back on just to eliminate that since the adding the muff/res. No change.

sootie

Reaction score
M085171. 4" in/out. I also have a MBRP dual tip... reason I mention that is there could be a vacuum effect taking place on the front tip.

But the shrill or noise is unique. It's not linear or consistent. Mine also goes away.

It's not a show stopper for me... just wanted confirmation I wasn't the only one before I waste time looking for a leak that is not visible.

I even put my stock intake back on just to eliminate that since the adding the muff/res. No change.

Thanks!

mine is most noticeable if I stab the throttle in park. I can make it do it consistently.

morefuel

Reaction score
Did you get the donaldson muffler in backwards? They, or at least the 5", have a funny whistle if its in backwards.

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Did you get the donaldson muffler in backwards? They, or at least the 5", have a funny whistle if its in backwards.

Inlet is facing forwards. And the FTE should be bi-directional.

Makes me wonder if they stamped the wrong end of the donaldson.

I can give it a try and flip it around.

BigRed97

Reaction score
So i went with the 30" fte. So far i havent put a muffler on it. Only thing i hear driving (only windows down) is the hiss of turbo. I'm Going to have a buddy do a few drive bys with varying throttle to see how loud it is...if only hiss is heard I might leave it as is

At idle it's as quiet as stock, just a touch deeper

CATDiezel

Reaction score
did your combo kill the turbine hiss at idle? I'm looking for a quiet as humanly possible lol

Yes! As much as humanly possible. I have it in my 2 car garage and you can now talk in the garage with the truck running.... also no longer echos off every wall around.

Im more than pleased with the reduction.

As far as mpg Go.... it's exactly the same 12.5 towing my 32ft gooseneck loaded.... nothing changed in those regards.

I figured out the noise I think. The M085171 muffler has a "resonator" right in the middle of the entire free flow muffler. It's actually and expansion chamber/drone killer. That would explain the whirly noise affect. If you Google the toy you will understand what noise I'm referring too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirly_tube

That link is a round about noise I hear... and explains the lack of consistency in the linear noise one should hear.

Im not longer worried about it.... sounds just fine... I just noticed the 1% items 99% of people never hear or see.... problem since birth.

Keep in mind the donaldson muffler was designed to be a vertically mounted unit... that's the reason for the expansion chamber right in the middle of the muffler because on a truck it's placed next to the cab most generally. Some are underslung but the majority it was designed for are vertical. Has no affect on reliability, just an explanation of why the expansion is on the M085171 Donaldson.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
did your combo kill the turbine hiss at idle? I'm looking for a quiet as humanly possible lol

I would give the hiss reduction a 65-70% reduction.

That's with the use of the 17" fte and donaldson...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
So i went with the 30" fte. So far i havent put a muffler on it. Only thing i hear driving (only windows down) is the hiss of turbo. I'm Going to have a buddy do a few drive bys with varying throttle to see how loud it is...if only hiss is heard I might leave it as is

At idle it's as quiet as stock, just a touch deeper

Drive by's aren't too bad straight piped. It's the idle that's killer..... well. Drive by's at very slow speeds are loud. Drive by's. Leaning into it are acceptable, but that's because the veins are opening up a bit after it spools.

dkeyt7

Reaction score
Well.

SUPER HAPPY....

Installed the 40" donaldson with a 17" FTE resonator.... very QUIET. Extremely happy!! Has a odd sound when at full boost it didn't have before but I'm positive it's the noise frequency rolling, literally, through the FTE....

The sound at the tip is probably reduced atleast 65% over straight pipe... running in the garage doesn't even bother me. It certainly still has the "I'm not stock and I'm deIeted note" it's just very reasonable now.

Will be towing heavy next week with enclosed gooseneck, we shall see....

I also threw on the stock wheels and tires for a positive feedback on exhaust noise reduction... only problem is I enjoy how quiet it is so much I cannot even begin to force myself to put the Toyos/BMF combo back on!

So are you still really happy with the setup? Did that "whistle" subside or you just get use to it? I am thinking about going with the exact same setup. Do you just have a flo pro ****** pipe or did you straight pipe back?

blackseven

Reaction score
I have the 37 inch Donaldson and it has made the truck so much better. No more waste gate mooing. Just a great spool noise and still kept some rumble, but less droning in the cab. I mounted mine near the axle over. I have a four inch flopro with the Magnaflow filter back kit, cause it was cheap and would work with the Donaldson without too much hassle. Had to trim some of the flow pro and the front of the Magnaflow then it slipped right in with some torctite clamps.

jethroUSMC

Reaction score
What about mounting options for something like a 40" Donaldson and 17 or 30" FTE resonator?

I'm only wanting to remove the scud missle and keep the factory pipe forward and the factory back end and dual tips.

Would I need a del pipe chopped to use the factory bolt on attachment points? Would the offcut from the del pipe work to join and clamp the resonator and Donaldson muffler?

I'm trying to figure this out so I can get the package put together and ordered before I totally coke up the factory components - which I will keep to put back on if I sell in the future.

Last edited:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
On a long box with a full aftermarket system, there is just about enough room to mount (2) 40” Donaldsons, before turning up over the axle. The cut off portion of the race pipe should be sufficient to do what you are describing and they weight much less than the tinfoil coated turd. I haven’t spent any time trying to measure between the flanges to see what will fit.

sootie

Reaction score
What about mounting options for something like a 40" Donaldson and 17 or 30" FTE resonator?

I'm only wanting to remove the scud missle and keep the factory pipe forward and the factory back end and dual tips.

Would I need a del pipe chopped to use the factory bolt on attachment points? Would the offcut from the del pipe work to join and clamp the resonator and Donaldson muffler?

I'm trying to figure this out so I can get the package put together and ordered before I totally coke up the factory components - which I will keep to put back on if I sell in the future.
I run a Donaldson and resonator on mine. It will require you using an aftermarket exhaust.

Have you ever looked under your truck?

No possible way to use the "front pipe" as you call it, due to it being part of the dpeef/doc assembly and no room between the flange and the hanger to do anything with it. At the rear, the tail portion is a three bolt flange. Unless you fabricate something to match it, you won't be using the factory setup as even the Donaldson muffler flange is larger pipe than factory. Nothing on the factory system is "bolt on", it is a two bolt flange at the front, an ext pipe behind the deepef (depending on cab config) and a three bolt flange between that and the tail section. All of this punctuated with weld on hangars.

I started off with a 4" downpipe back system and modified from there. All it took was cutting and clamps to make everything work well.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I run a Donaldson and resonator on mine. It will require you using an aftermarket exhaust.

Have you ever looked under your truck?

No possible way to use the "front pipe" as you call it, due to it being part of the dpeef/doc assembly and no room between the flange and the hanger to do anything with it. At the rear, the tail portion is a three bolt flange. Unless you fabricate something to match it, you won't be using the factory setup as even the Donaldson muffler flange is larger pipe than factory. Nothing on the factory system is "bolt on", it is a two bolt flange at the front, an ext pipe behind the deepef (depending on cab config) and a three bolt flange between that and the tail section. All of this punctuated with weld on hangars.

I started off with a 4" downpipe back system and modified from there. All it took was cutting and clamps to make everything work well.
You have all that on your regular cab?

live life full throttle