need advice in a bad way

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
give ya a run down on whats going on....

last friday i picked up my truck from mike's diesel performance and let me say this first! it ran like a rapped ***in ape! i have never been over 25 lbs of boost in my stock tune and for some reason with no tuning changes it will run around 31 lbs no idea why! smooth as glass and its very hard to judge the rpm's like i used to.. hell i was cruising around in 3rd gear just listening to the smooth hum of the motor and looked down and i was running 3200rpm! before, it sounded like it was gonna come undone at that rpm with no real load on it.. so mike did a hell of a job in that aspect of it... so this is not a dig what so ever on mike... just trying to get this thing figured out...

the only changes that where made are, .030 bore, 910s, head studs, girdle, and balanced. had injectors inspected and where ok, and valve train checked over good.. no tuning, hpop, or turbo changes yet... i have a wheel to put in the 38r so that will be the only change in that aspect...

ok, now for the issues... saturday i blew the middle freeze plug on passenger side... no biggy really, **** happens, put a new one in it... today went to get it from my buddy shop that put it in for me.. had it pressure tested up to 25lbs and held steady... didn't check it at idle though, just got it up to operating temps and shut it off and did the pressure test... mike said he didn't recommend ripping on it till 500 miles or so from when i picked it up and to do a oil change on it too... so up until today i havnt held it wot at all... may have stabbed the throttle a time or two but not holding it wot at all.... but anyway hit the 400 mile mark and being that i was supposed to be in minnesota monday morn for work i wanted to make sure this was going to hold... did a couple wot runs and on the 4th one i noticed my temp gauge climbing high on the dash gauge so i pulled over and looked and sure as *** the coolant tank was empty and the front passenger plug was mia! **** me... also noticed a bad clunking/rattling/banging noise coming from the rear of the motor... FUUUUKKKK ME! so now im pretty sure my flex plate is broke or the converter is shot but when i put it in gear it makes a loud crunching noise and then the noise disappears.. so i figured broke flex plate... took the inspection cover off and it got loud as ***...

anyway back to the freeze plugs blowing out.... anyone have any clue as to why i may keep blowing them out... also had a new coolant tank cap put on just to rule it out... no coolant in oil... unless with schaeffers 7000 it just makes it turn to a dark dark green and not a light green like it is fresh out of the bottle... oil has prolly 10hrs idle time and 400-500miles on it... thermostat is a year old from dieselsite.... i have a 180* from riffraff i may put in just to rule that out too... but even then, if any pressure was building up it should blow out the cap and the outside of the coolant tank and cap is bone ass dry! only place that is wet is from the freeze plug down.... no idea what the actual coolant temps got to cuz for some reason my ECT reads -40 on my scanner but EOT got up to i think 216 once on the way home from mikes shop and not over 210 since, even with no coolant in it before i realized it was non existent...

needless to say i may not be going to work on sunday do to not wanting to haul my 5er out there with my 01...

any input would be greatly appreciated!

907DAVE

Reaction score
The cap can only relieve so much pressure, get beyond that and something has to give.

Have a chemical test done to verify your blown headgasket.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The cap can only relieve so much pressure, get beyond that and something has to give.

Have a chemical test done to verify your blown headgasket.

so your saying it is blowing the freeze plugs before it pushes the coolant close enough to the cap to go out of the cap even after a few wot runs? whats the chem test consist of? adding die to the coolant?

forgot to add that the first plug blew out after it was only running for like 8 minutes and wasnt even running 35mph through town and after the third wot run today i stopped and checked the coolant level.... it was still close to the same as when i picked it up.... on the 4th run is when it disappeared.

any idea how much coolant would have to be in the oil to separate and fall to the bottom of the pan in order to see it drain out when the drain plug is cracked open after sitting for 2.5 days?

live life full throttle

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Only one way a freeze plug is blowning out... Well two ways, but I dont see a cracked block in your future.

Head gaskets.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Can I ask why you were "cruising" at 3200 RPM? I have a hard time believing this wasn't beat on as soon as you got the truck. The original post goes back and forth from beat to not.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Can I ask why you were "cruising" at 3200 RPM? I have a hard time believing this wasn't beat on as soon as you got the truck. The original post goes back and forth from beat to not.

nope not beat on till yesterday! ill be the first to tell you i ran the chit out of this truck before.. i will again too... once its figured out....

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Just so everyone also knows I have been in contact with Jake on this since he had this issue come about. The freeze plugs were put in by the machine shop and not myself. I wanted more time with the truck so I could have more drive time with it other than the 5 hrs of run/drive time I did have with it so we could deal with issues like this that might arise but he was in a rush to get it back. Also the parts for the complete rebuild kit were customer supplied and were't bought through me which voids any sort of warranty that may have been given which Jake knows about.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Just so everyone also knows I have been in contact with Jake on this since he had this issue come about. The freeze plugs were put in by the machine shop and not myself. I wanted more time with the truck so I could have more drive time with it other than the 5 hrs of run/drive time I did have with it so we could deal with issues like this that might arise but he was in a rush to get it back. Also the parts for the complete rebuild kit were customer supplied and were't bought through me which voids any sort of warranty that may have been given which Jake knows about.

I dont think anyone is doubting your skills. **** happens.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
not yet... pulling trans on monday to verify broken flexplate and replacing it if so.. i have a couple rubber compression expansion plugs to put in to do the combustion gas leak test that i got a kit for.. then go from there..

a4ejyzyt.jpg

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is this what its should look like with the seat ring around it like this? i would have thought that there wouldn't be a ring like that if it was seated in the block all the way? you can sorta see right where it goes from somewhat flat to coned... but wtf do i know.... ill know more monday or tuesday....

ejuga4y5.jpg
uja6azum.jpg

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online