Should I weld it?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Trying to adapt my T4i to a T6. Got an adapter flange but..... It's for a T4. Couldn't find one for T4i.

Had one stud that had to stay in mount. Had to make the bottom holes wider to fit the T4i dimensions.

Question I have is, should I just weld all the way the perimeter of the flange verses trying to bolt the flange? And leave the gasket out where there would be one? The adapter flange is threaded for bolts and I'll just cut off the last old stud.

image_zps32a8b7de.jpg

psduser1

Reaction score
I'd weld the sht outta that! Lol

Run a file over the face when it's fully cooled, make sure it's still flat.
Tig would be your best bet.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Yeah I could use a TIG. Even got a Certified pipe fitter who is good friend of the family who can help as well.

psduser1

Reaction score
Keep the heat input down, seal weld all the way around the tube ends, and clean up the welds with an end grinder, if needed.

sootie

Reaction score
welding would be best but it will be very difficult to keep the heat down and the mounting plane flat. after it is welded, i would machine the face flat again.

a_moore

Reaction score
Weld around the inside by stitching and moving around to prevent warp as much as possible. The inside will require less weld and help with warping.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Weld around the inside by stitching and moving around to prevent warp as much as possible. The inside will require less weld and help with warping.

Back-step welding is good at distributing the heat better. It is a more specific form of stitch welding which is usually not considered a continuous weld from my experience. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

ja_cain

Reaction score
My post was a little confusing. Stitch welding is generally considered a non continuous weld were as back-stepping is like stitch welding but in a continuous weld sense. Based on the colors it looks a little hot in some places. Straw colored is the lowest on the heat scale so you can see where it was starting to get kind of hot in the blue and purple areas. I think that welding and then re-machining is the best way to do it unless you are tig welding and can control the heat input more precisely.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I checked it. Not much at all that I can see.

I plan on putting the bolts in and welding them in to fill the holes and taking the sharp edges out as well.

I'll post more pics later.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I had it milled when I stick welded it last time. It was REALLY warped!

psduser1

Reaction score
Been down that road, eh?
In that case, I'll quit lecturing, as it sounds like your well aware of what to look for.

Latest posts

Members online