low oil pressure but starts and runs

bkb

Reaction score
Just did HG and full updates on my 05 with 80k miles. Truck ran great on its first trip around the block, brought it back and changed the oil. OEM filters and T6 next day took it on a little trip again no issues. Today I was driving home and low oil pressure alarm came on, rev up the engine and gauge went up. Truck ran fine and no weird issues. Put a mechanical gauge on and I get 5psi revving makes little difference. I pulled the oil regulator and its not hung up and no metal found again no difference. Pulled filter and with filter out it fills the housing fast then drains back, hold drain back down and it holds oil. Don't know where to go from here. I don't have any kind of scan tool but truck runs pretty good so I don't see how I have a HPOP leak. I did OEM oil cooler and re-oringed everything is there a oil cooler bypass that could be jammed?

Petro

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd pop the harmonic balancer off and pull the low pressure oil pump and have a look at the gears and front cover. I'd be making sure something didn't go through there.

79jasper

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd pop the harmonic balancer off and pull the low pressure oil pump and have a look at the gears and front cover. I'd be making sure something didn't go through there.
Or have a look at the regulator first.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bkb

Reaction score
I ordered a new oil drainback valve and bypass valve and will install them first. Truck starts quick Hot or Cold and is supper smooth. My plan moving forward if these don't fix it are datalog to see if anything on the HPOP side looks strange, drain oil and inspect pick up tube with camera if possible, inspect LPOP.

bkb

Reaction score
was checking out the truck and it would appear the LPOP sucked something in. I found a very small sliver of aluminum in the filter housing. The oil does have some bronze / brass in it don't know if this is turbo bearing , lower end bearings or possibly the coating on the new push rods I installed. This weekend I plan to pull the LPOP and see how bad it is. If I cant find whatever it is that got sucked up do I just put it back together and run it? If the front cover is trashed what is the feeling on the LPOP repair kit?

Jtreece

Reaction score
make sure to look at the front main cover to see if its grooved. I just went through this and had to get a whole new front engine cover. I literally had the same issue, replaced the main front and fixed the issue. But I also did the cooler, front main cover, IPR, LPOP and Oil pressure sensor.

bkb

Reaction score
LPOP is in new condition same for front and back covers. Don't understand where the oil is going and what the brass is from.

TooManyToys

Reaction score
The only place brass colored materials are used in the motor is bearings. All rotational, turbo, cam, and lower plating of the main and rod. I'd check turbo play but that would not cause loss of pressure. I've never disassembled an HPOP to see the material within, but checking the IPR screen may be an easier way.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_b04.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_b04.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 45
  • BEBearing-Anatomy-02.jpg
    BEBearing-Anatomy-02.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51
  • fullsizeoutput_f68.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_f68.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 40

bismic

Reaction score
I am curiousabout the HPOP internals also.

I do know that some brass plugs are used in the anti-drainback valve, oil cooler bypass valve, or maybe the oil filter drain valve ...... or maybe in several of them (can't recall for sure). My memory says it is the anti-drainback and it has been observed to wear down somewhat significantly over time. That said, it doesn't seem like it would be in slivers.

bismic

Reaction score
Can't see it generating much either, but a lot of unusual things have proved to be possible over the years. Thought I would just mention it. It is something I think about when I do the UOA each time.

webb06

Reaction score
Where’d you check oil pressure at? Anytime I’ve seen gauge drop off and come back with revving the oil pressure switch just needed replaced.

But if you’re seeing shavings in the oil you very well could have deeper issues.

What head gaskets did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online