Truck falls on it's face 3-4-5 gear

andrewtac

Reaction score
2016, streetmaxx, ez link, dual fuel, mw piping, nl intercooler. Recently the truck seems weak. It also occasionally has an issue I noticed if I am part way in the throttle, at the top of 2nd it falls on it's face. If I keep the throttle in 3rd gear it shutters and seems like it has no gas, if I keep a constant throttle, same all the way into 5th. Sometimes it sounds like it is clattering, or pinging (scared me, sounded likes detonation). This only happw a sometimes. I have stomped on it doing about 50, it downshifts appropriately I get the big black cloud, and it gets. At first I thought it was fuel, but once I am up and away it doesn't do it. Also, it does it with a full tank of fuel, and when the truck has only been driven for a few minutes (and also longer). I thought maybe hot fuel, probably not. I did put a low boy farm trailer on, and it made it repeatable every single time I took off from a stop or if I slowed enough to get to 2nd. If I were to left off the throttle at the top of the gear (about where it normally shifts) it will shift into the next gear and doesn't do it, but I have to do this until I get into 5th or it will do it; sort of drive it like a stick, letting up on the throttle between shifts. I looked at the data logs, injector pressure seems normal. Any ideas?

andrewtac

Reaction score
I'll check it. I thought that too, but I think the shaking/shuttering is just being transmissitted through the trans. I am out if town but will check it when I get back, maybe tomorrow.

curtis270

Reaction score
Could be but could also be the converter shuttering due to internal damage interested to see what the fluid looks like

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sounds like your trans is wonky to me. Try returning to stock and reload the tune. Was this always an issue or did it just all of a sudden start? Solenoids might be sticky or have chit in them. Have you had a trans service done recently?

live life full throttle

andrewtac

Reaction score
All of the sudden, truck has 37k on it. Tune has been the same over a year. Fluid checked, red, smells like normal, no signs of burning or overheating. I don't think it is the trans. It seems like limp mode, no codes, but I can avoid it if I let out of the throttle when it gets close to shifting. If it gets to fifth, and I punch it it will down shift to 3rd I believe and seems to run normal, if I coast to a stop and part throttle Accel it will do it.

curtis270

Reaction score
still sounds like the trans to me but these trans are supposed to be pretty stout. when you go full throttle it commands more line pressure so it would slip less when your coasting and part throttle line pressure isnt as high so could be slipping more can your tuner adjust the line pressure back down to stock and see if it does it more if so could need a rebuild and new clutches

Last edited:

Motostroker

Reaction score
Check converter slip when it’s locked. After it’s locked, checked the input and output deltas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andrewtac

Reaction score
Well, when installing a Ravelco kill switch, the KAM was reset and the truck quit acting weird. Who knows now, runs great again.

andrewtac

Reaction score
Huh. Thats weird!

live life full throttle

Your telling me, I went to PSE and drove it for a while, even hooked up one of Dorian's trailers and couldn't make it do it. I have had it back for over a week no issues. Yesterday I hauled probably about 8k and no issues.

andrewtac

Reaction score
Truck doing it again. It seems to be a defuel. It has occured at higher speeds now as well. I punched it while in 6th gear felt normal with the down shift but then defueled and had to let completely off the throttle and slow down before it would respond to the throttle properly. Any ideas?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Truck doing it again. It seems to be a defuel. It has occured at higher speeds now as well. I punched it while in 6th gear felt normal with the down shift but then defueled and had to let completely off the throttle and slow down before it would respond to the throttle properly. Any ideas?
Can you monitor rail pressure when it does this?

live life full throttle

Motostroker

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure there is an update for the ABS module that links with the stabiltrac. My truck over the last month was shooting a weird message randomly going down the road. Do you have any U codes present?

Reaction score
P016C - Closed Loop Air/Fuel Ratio Control at Limit - System Too Lean

I would assume it has nothing to do with the tune since the same tune has been in the truck and in the past it ran fine but now has an issue.

It may be a bad maf sensor or wiring. Sometimes if you over oil the oiled filters it can cause issues with the maf reading.

Motostroker

Reaction score
I have an ez link which parameter is it?

cdb34d98fe33c442ca9f7a90682c6c87.jpg

Set it up like this. I need to see desired and actual.

Also, show us torque converter slip, fuel volume control valve, and trans line pressure.

Motostroker

Reaction score
P016C - Closed Loop Air/Fuel Ratio Control at Limit - System Too Lean

I would assume it has nothing to do with the tune since the same tune has been in the truck and in the past it ran fine but now has an issue.

It may be a bad maf sensor or wiring. Sometimes if you over oil the oiled filters it can cause issues with the maf reading.

This too. Show us the MAF hertz (or flow) in the data log

Record a run and try to make it do it