Detailing the truck?

RyanD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last weekend I clay'd/paint clean/waxed my truck, but I'm not happy with the results. From far away it's a stunner, but up close in focused light I still see light scratches. I wanna start over, so I was hoping y'all could point me in the right direction of what you use at all steps to get a really nice outcome. I have a random orbit buffer that I'm comfortable with too, so anything product wise would help.

Also, I REALLY want to clean up the wheel wells - all that exposed frame in the back takes away from the overall appearance, so any advice here would be exponentially appreciated.

Thanks!

Jomax

Reaction score
What buffer do you have?

Spend some time on autogeek detailing forum. You'll learn a ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechcont

Reaction score
WHS...I love the Menzerna products I have been using then for about 10 years. I use corrosion X on the frame and undercarriage it keeps the rust away and makes cleaning it easy. I would power wash the wheel wells with a good pressure washer and then treat them with a product.

RyanD

Reaction score
What buffer do you have?

Spend some time on autogeek detailing forum. You'll learn a ton

Porter Cable 7346 - the Lowe's variant of the 7424 - love this thing, and it makes polishing the truck much faster. Thanks for the AG tip, I'll go check them out - thanks!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Go to ford and buy the wheelwell liners. They cover everything in back and give your truck a car like appearance.

There are some aftermarket options for those too.

Jomax

Reaction score
Go to ford and buy the wheelwell liners. They cover everything in back and give your truck a car like appearance.

X2 first thing I bought for my truck.

Only go with Ford, they're cheap.

Jomax

Reaction score
Porter Cable 7346 - the Lowe's variant of the 7424 - love this thing, and it makes polishing the truck much faster. Thanks for the AG tip, I'll go check them out - thanks!!

I'd get a 5 in backing plate and 5.5in pads.

Machine isn't strong enough for 6in pads.

You then make a mark on the backplate with a sharpie. This helps you see if the pad is spinning or stopped from to much pressure.

For products for beginners, you cannot beat meguiars ultimate compound and ultimate polish. Sometimes, you can get away with just using the compound, it leaves behind that good of a shine. You can also pick these up ANYWHERE.

These product Are a SMAT product meaning, the compound abrasives don't need to break down like
Most products. If after one section pass, you like the outcome, you don't need to continue.

Most cars/trucks need about 4-6 section passes to remove defects

This car was done with a microfiber pad and a rupes21( best DA polisher you can buy but spendy)

All I used was meguiars ultimate compound followed by meguiars ultimate wax

Before

c0d7cba73c6635f6b314388540bce3cb.jpg

After

The deep scratches will never be able to be removed safely.
b06a13dd580f1f887f4e62a0c8b5150d.jpg

Before I detailed the car

2b2c409a784069ebd28af44f8e411514.jpg

After

632b5d2f1cd16eb7b69d7c7434b5e2f0.jpg

Myerswelder

Reaction score
After I finished paint correction all with Adams Polishes. Paint corrected, glazed waxed and then sealant to finish it all off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 103

Cknox121

Reaction score

Got a part number for theses?

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
People can waste all the money they want on high dollar stuff like Adams, etc. Plain old Meguiars NXT from any auto parts store on the planet combined with other Meguiars polishes and stuff rival the highest dollar stuff money can buy.

This is the roof of my old silver Ram. R/T...all done by hand....nothing but Meguairs.

1459806_10201334508104367_1110605462_n.jpg

Jomax

Reaction score
People can waste all the money they want on high dollar stuff like Adams, etc. Plain old Meguiars NXT from any auto parts store on the planet combined with other Meguiars polishes and stuff rival the highest dollar stuff money can buy.

This is the roof of my old silver Ram. R/T...all done by hand....nothing but Meguairs.

1459806_10201334508104367_1110605462_n.jpg

X2

Halestorm55

Reaction score
I got the duragloss stuff we carry here at work and it works very good as well. It is around the same price as the meguiars stuff. Now just need to put the sealant on and I'm done for a couple months besides washes.

Vodomagoo

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the new griots system they have but with the porter cable I think you might be limited on the cutting ability but with a good 5in microfiber pad, I think you can get some stellar results it will just take some additional time. If you want to do a full correction this would be a easy to use product that you will get great results with. If you are not against a product with some fillers in it I might suggest poorboys polish then blackhole glaze topped with one of their waxes or sealants. You will get a fantastic shine from this combo that is deep as can be.

Here is a link to my thread where I did the full correction on my truck. Pictures of the finished truck have no fillers on it just a basic sealant. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68131

Latest posts

Members online