Tune question

Stringbean

Reaction score
First of I’d like to say, hello and thanks for the information in advance. I’m pretty new to the whole diesel modification game so excuse my ignorance, and I do make an attempt to use the “search” function that’s available whether it’s google or on this site.

With that being said, I made the jump to give my 2016 F250 a bit more spunk and figured I’d get the best bang for my buck. I ran through google search for a few hours and it seemed like sp*rT*n tuner was a hot commodity and many seemed well pleased. So I picked this for my tune and went with a Stage II from No Limit to allow adequate and sufficient air flow.

The truck has ran great, but about 1 month ago the truck starting throwing codes. All regarding the mass air flow sensor. P2074. Something that seems to be common and a headache for some. I’ve been in contacted with patriot regarding this issue and received an update and new tunes but recently had the code reappear another 200 miles. Which I then contacted them again and was told they needed to, “check into that and get back with” me. After about a week I contacted them and asked if this would be an issue later on down the road, and wasn’t given an answer but another update and tune.

My intent isn’t to bash but to ask if there is anyway to resolve this issue? I find it quite irritating to drive around with a check engine light or have it pop back up after 200 miles.

For the money that was spent vs other what others cost, I’d expect the competitors to be having issues and patriot have a quick fix and better communication.

So my ignorant question is, what is a way to fix this issue? Has anyone had luck with your truck not throwing codes using the NDash warhammer sotf and an aftermarket 5” intake? Or is there a better option?

I’ve been told to go with an sct sotf and that this issue is resolved thru their tunes. Does anyone else have first hand knowledge with this tune?

I made the mistake of not asking before purchasing prior and do not intend to do so again. Expensive lesson if it’s not fixable.

Thanks again.

sootie

Reaction score
Just buy the stage 1 intake and run the standard patriot tunes you started out with.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just buy the stage 1 intake and run the standard patriot tunes you started out with.

the problem i see , is in the tuning. every tuner worth mentioning has adjusted MAF for the increase in flow and change in air speed , i see the problem as much larger to not make the simple change in tuning the MAF vs. making ANY hard parts change. IMO it reflects much worse on the tuner than anyone else , as it's such an easy change to make, to take advantage of flow. every tuner on sct , h&s , and ez lynk have zero issues taking advantage , at what point is the issue the parts or the tuning ?

cappa

Reaction score
You need to email Jeff and ask for the warhammer 3.1, supposed to fix the code issue. I just got it but have not tried it yet. I'm running the 2.1 still but get the same codes every now and then due to the nl stage 2. I was going to wait and see what the reviews are like of the 3.1, tired of always being the first guinea pig on new revisions. Think this revision just came out a week or so ago

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
It makes me wonder if this is similar to the issues with '03-'04 Cobras.

Years ago, when I owned one of these beasts, they were very easy to make power with. The problem was, it would pull in so much air through the intake that the MAF couldn't register correctly. The fix was an aftermarket MAF that was calibrated for more airflow. Any chance your tuner could entertain this theory?

sootie

Reaction score
the problem i see , is in the tuning. every tuner worth mentioning has adjusted MAF for the increase in flow and change in air speed , i see the problem as much larger to not make the simple change in tuning the MAF vs. making ANY hard parts change. IMO it reflects much worse on the tuner than anyone else , as it's such an easy change to make, to take advantage of flow. every tuner on sct , h&s , and ez lynk have zero issues taking advantage , at what point is the issue the parts or the tuning ?
Agreed 100%

I personally wouldn't run patriot if you paid me, I just figured another intake was cheaper than a new tuning platform.

Stringbean

Reaction score
I agree, it would be cheaper, initially, to make an intake switch but based on what reviews/issues I read and personally dealt with, it seems like it’s be a smarter decision to switch tuners and have better support.

I just received the 3.1 tunes Wednesday that have yet to be loaded, but I agree it’s a headache all surrounding the same issue.

A aftermarket maf was brought up in conversation by a buddy of mine and was a possibility until I heard other companies fixed this problem. Based on that, why do I have to start making “fixes” due to incorrect tuning?

Thanks again guys! It looks like my decision has been made and I will make the switch with tuners, probably sct.

Stringbean

Reaction score
Question, I’m now going to be using a SCT with a Tyrant sotf tune to get away from this headache. I do not have my original stock file but I have a patriot diagnostic recovery file that’s suppose to be a recovery stock file.

Does anyone know if this recovery file will work so I can install the new tunes from tyrant?

sootie

Reaction score
return to stock with the patriot device or you will have all sorts of issues.

cappa

Reaction score
Be interested to hear your comparison to tyrant, heard nothing but good things about them. I would maybe consider switching but am pretty happy with their shifting and the ndash platform as a tuner/monitor all in one. Agree thou, the support provided for little fixes had been piss poor

Stringbean

Reaction score
Okay, I contacted patriot diagnostics to double check and verify that the recovery file they sent me is an actual Ford stock tune. So hopefully tomorrow, I’ll be able to return the truck to a stock tune and upload the tyrant sotf time. I was a little paranoid to use the Recover File that patriot diagnostics, and not be an actual ford stock file.

I do like the ndash for monitoring reason, but I’m worried about running into future issues with absolutely no support whatsoever.

Latest posts

Members online