Won’t rev over 2k

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So, I got one kicking my ass here. It’s one of the guys at the shops truck. I built the motor about 5k ago, he went to pass someone on the freeway last Friday and lost all power, pouring smoke out like a 12v with no fuel plate in it. Truck has 190/30s, a stage 1 cam we had laying around, don’t remember if it’s welded or not, Odawg intake, and tunes by tsd.

All inputs look ok, ebp is a bit high, but no change with it plugged in or not, fuel pressure sits at 45psi, tried reloading the tune, no change. Swapped ficms, no change, have a run up misfire on 5 and 7, 7 was at -4% on relative compression, had 310 psi on manual, 30% leakage from crankcase and possibly exhaust. No chug from crankcase, but does seem to have some excessive blow by, not sure if he just hasn’t gotten the rings fully seated or not yet, or what’s going on there, but currently not chasing that issue yet. Lol. Truck does have an egr valve, but the cooler is plugged, and according to ids the valve isn’t hung open or anything. Did the bubble test, no issues seen. Swapped bank 1 injectors with stock injectors we had laying around with no change. Truck also has a car, so I disconnected the down pipe, with no change.

This thing makes a pile of soot at the tailpipe when running it, acts like it doesn’t have any air. Pulled the cold side cac tube to rule out any cac restriction or anything, no change, but it does sound like a big block now.

Finally, pulled the crank sensor, and checked the tone wheel, as my rpm pid was kind of messy, but the truck is running like ****, so I’m not sure what was causing it. Tone wheel felt tight, looked at it with a bore scope, didn’t see any issues while turning it over.

I do not have access to an oscilloscope, but what are the chances the cam could’ve come out of time? That’s kinda where I’m stuck at now. Any help is appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Guess I should add too, no pertinent codes. Had 5&7 misfire codes and some fuel sender codes

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What are baro map mgp ebp koeo and koer.

How does it fair on turbo sweep test?

Can you build boost in bay?

Mityvac test to map line and sensor?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Bark and map are between 13.7 and 13.8, ebp is high at 15.3, but no change with it unplugged. Map line seemed ok, won’t build enough rpm to build boost, barely made it up the slight hill into the shop. Turbo spins free and canes are working, again, doesn’t run good enough to do much of anything. It maxxes out at about 5mph floored when trying to drive it

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Also, been testing with hot and cold side tubes disconnected, hot side due to having pulled the valve cover a couple times, cold side to rule out something sucked into the inter cooler and plugging it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
What's it doing when it tops out at 2k?

Does it run terrible?

What's icp act vs desired and ipr %.

I had a few that icp wouldn't keep up and Power balance showed all injectors weak when under load, find out not enough ICP

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I would manually give it boost via Mityvac and see if it cleans up

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Just smokes like crazy and quits running up. Didn’t look at iCp desired that I remember, actual is around 1500-1600, ipr in the 40% range, command ipr higher or lower to see if it’ll run up more and I start losing rpm. It’s a late pump, we changed the stc while it was apart, but did not change the pump as I can count on one hand how many of those pumps I’ve seen die.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I know right. I love seeing cast iron pumps come across the counter.... It's like "oh someone's guessing"

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sounds like **** injectors to me.

They are fairly old injectors, and been in 2 or 3 motors, and I have had some act like this, but never really out of the blue, especially cruising down the highway. They also all clicked fine, which I know doesn’t validate the fuel side, but for them to go from basically 100% to **** in 30sec is astonishing to me.

6_Riders

Reaction score
Fuel pressure is low, especially for big injectors. Maybe fuel pressure bottomed out when he was getting on it and toasted the injectors.
Other things you might consider are cleaning the Ebp tube and the intake nipple for the map.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
Stock fuel pump? 45psi is low with stock injectors.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah stock fuel pump, he’s saving up for an air dog. Wrench got thrown in the works though, I’m sicker than **** so don’t know when I’m gonna be able to look at it again

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I mean, its possible.. Ive driven trucks for dio purposes with well under 20 psi and they drive just fine until you hammer it.

webb06

Reaction score
I mean, its possible.. Ive driven trucks for dio purposes with well under 20 psi and they drive just fine until you hammer it.

Which is when the problem arose. He was on the interstate and hammered it. Could’ve dropped pressure and wiped some injectors?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Swapped injectors, no change in how it runs. These were brand new off the shelf 190/30s. Guess next step is figuring out if the timing somehow jumped. I did pull the oil filter and cut it apart before swapping injectors, nothing crazy in it. Couple of little pieces of metal, nothing I’d worry about. Another thing I don’t think I said prior, this thing has nasty oil in it. I have no idea why either. It looks like a 7.3 with 300+ on it, not 1-2k oil in something that has all of 5-6k on a rebuild

bismic

Reaction score
Could the intake manifold be plugged up (from when the EGR system was active)?
Done any tests on the VGT solenoid?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online