TC lock in Tow/haul

tnutcher

Reaction score
I'm trying to write a tune to lock the TC in 5th only in normal driving, but to lock 3rd through 5th in tow/haul mode. I've been playing with it for awhile with no luck. When using HOT mode like in the HS S1 and S2 files I have not been able to get the tow/haul function to alter in which gears the TC locks, so I tried using the EZ trans file, which does not use the HOT mode. Here's a screen shot. But still no difference in tow haul. This tune only locks 5th whether in T/H or not.

Maybe some other setting I'm missing? Or the speed ratio? Is it possible to run 2 different TC strategies in one tune with the T/H function? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

TNutcher PXL_20211001_204714967.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
I'm trying to write a tune to lock the TC in 5th only in normal driving, but to lock 3rd through 5th in tow/haul mode. I've been playing with it for awhile with no luck. When using HOT mode like in the HS S1 and S2 files I have not been able to get the tow/haul function to alter in which gears the TC locks, so I tried using the EZ trans file, which does not use the HOT mode. Here's a screen shot. But still no difference in tow haul. This tune only locks 5th whether in T/H or not.

Maybe some other setting I'm missing? Or the speed ratio? Is it possible to run 2 different TC strategies in one tune with the T/H function? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

TNutcherView attachment 52404

I haven't ever tried different schedules for TH but your lockup tables look right. I'd look into speed ratio numbers.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

tnutcher

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The speed ratio numbers seem a little confusing, 0.56 for HOT and 1.25 in the HS S1 and S2 tunes, but 0.62 for HOT and 1.04 for EZ tunes. Any idea what the numerator or denominator is for that ratio?

Another one that has always made me wonder was the "torque converter lockup rate" for the lock to lock shift and the mid shift tables. Is higher more force? Canned tune files show mid 100s to 700 numbers, labels as torque. Adjusting them up or down, I never felt a difference in TC lockup. Thanks

TNutcher

ckrueg

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The speed ratio numbers seem a little confusing, 0.56 for HOT and 1.25 in the HS S1 and S2 tunes, but 0.62 for HOT and 1.04 for EZ tunes. Any idea what the numerator or denominator is for that ratio?

Another one that has always made me wonder was the "torque converter lockup rate" for the lock to lock shift and the mid shift tables. Is higher more force? Canned tune files show mid 100s to 700 numbers, labels as torque. Adjusting them up or down, I never felt a difference in TC lockup. Thanks

TNutcher

So I think the H&S can tunes have a wider ratio window for lockup. 0.56 would equate to an engine RPM speed of 2000 rpm and 1120 rom input shaft speed. The max of 1.25 would equate to 2000 Rpm engine speed with 2500 input shaft (this would be in an engine braking senario). The point of the min/max ratio lockup values is to protect the converter and prevent bogging down the engine. If you are doing a brake stand your ratio is going to be 0.

For your other question, from me experience, with Ford logic a lockup rate of 0 is fastest and 1000 would be slowest. My 6.7 follows this, I actually lowered all my pickup rates and got a much faster /firmer lockup.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online