2001 7.3 intermittent idle issues

97cherokee

Reaction score
so about a week ago i noticed that my truck doesnt have the butter smooth idle its had since i did the hrx and frx... i start the truck cold and it idles butter smooth, leave work go about 2.5-3 miles come too the stoplight and after a few seconds itll idle funny... not skipping just idles funny and not as smooth. get on the highway for about 18 miles with no issues, get off at my exit idle is slightly off but not near as bad when the engine is warming up. i monitored my icp and ipr. cold icp commanded is 600 psi, measured 600 (with in about 50-75psi of commanded) ipr is 16.4-18.5 depending upon which tune its in. when it starts too idle funny icp is between 450ish and 720 while commanded is 600 and ipr is in the same 16.4-19 depending upon tune. 2 weeks before this issue started i installed a cnc fab hpop and a motorcraft ipr, irate regulated return kit. the other day i looked at my icp sensor and found it too be leaking oil. today i installed a new zibbits icp sensor. ( i read really really good reviews on it and it wasnt an ebay special sensor nor ebay price) cleaned the connector and ran the truck and it does the same thing... any input? injectors are ffd 180/30s about 2.5yrs old and have under 30k on them.

thanks!!!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
With is a zibbits icp sensor?

How's your oil when this happens? Is it foamy?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So reading on it, they harp on old technology.. I mean... They still offer OE icp sensors, and what, it'll last 10-15 years?

I'd toss A new OE sensor in before anything.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ford icp sensors are pure junk actually. I certainly don't recommend any other brand, but can say I've seen a handful of trucks I've replaced them on start pushing oil through the damn connector within 2 years, and not very many miles...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've been putting international stamped icp sensors, which are sold by Ford and reboxed by Alliant Power as their own in trucks since 2009 and haven't had one comeback to me for an issue:shrug:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
On top of putting a Ford icp sensor in, change the pigtail. Seen plenty of times cleaning it doesn’t do anything. Especially if the oil has started working it’s way up the wires and started swelling and/or stripping the insulation on the wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97cherokee

Reaction score
ok I'll give it a whirl with replacing the pigtail and if that doesnt solve the issue I'll replace the icp with a Ford one.

97cherokee

Reaction score
I ordered a motorcraft icp and alliant pigtail today. hopefully I will have it tomorrow.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I've been putting international stamped icp sensors, which are sold by Ford and reboxed by Alliant Power as their own in trucks since 2009 and haven't had one comeback to me for an issue:shrug:

Very interesting. The ones I speak of all came from Ford, with Ford p/n and packaging. I certainly don't believe it's all a coincidence that every one I've put on only seems to last between a year or 2, and again, none of these trucks get a bunch of miles put on them either.

97cherokee

Reaction score
Very interesting. The ones I speak of all came from Ford, with Ford p/n and packaging. I certainly don't believe it's all a coincidence that every one I've put on only seems to last between a year or 2, and again, none of these trucks get a bunch of miles put on them either.

my current one is ford one thats 5-6 yrs old and has about 115k on it. i definitely expect more longevity for such an expensive sensor, is what it is though.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just cause it’s new doesn’t mean it won’t have a problem. Anyways my duty cycle is 8% with 250/80 hybrids and a t500. I’ve also had a piston spring fail in a newer pump that was 3 months old just saying. At idle you should be well under 10% warm

97cherokee

Reaction score
oh I agree, new parts fail all the time. I just got too have some info too give them. they werent very helpful when I called too discuss my issues...

I can check the pai and duty cycle later this week at a 70mph cruise and should I do wot check from a 55mph roll?

97cherokee

Reaction score
so I contacted 1023. they said below 60*f icp is commanded at 1100 over 140*f it is supposed to be 515. they havent gotten back too me on ipr. they also said most scan tools dont read desired icp correctly. anytime I've used mine too monitor anything it's always been close.

Latest posts

Members online