Swapping 97 motor into a 95

wjamesm

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the motor in my 95 F-Superduty . I pulled the motor because I was getting water in the oil . After checking everthing that I could while the engine was in the truck i decided to pull the engine . After I got the engine out I pulled the pan and saw this IMG_0143 (1).jpg . The motor was a jasper rebuild so I called them with the serial number but they said it must be more than 10 years old , they don't keep records older than that . I bought a used motor out of a 97 that the seller said had 150k on it . I don't know how many miles are on the bad jasper motor but everything is alot cleaner on it than the replacement motor . So I am wanting to switch the turbo , fuel filter housing , HPOP , up-pipes and oil pan over to the good motor . I have all new gaskets and o-rings for the turbo and pedestal , up-pipes ,
exhaust manifolds and HPOP . My question is can I used the 95 HPOP on the 97 motor ( I read that I can) and the oil pan if I use the 95 pick-up tube ?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Your front timing cover will tell what pickup tube you can use.

I put a Super Dooper front timing cover on mine. I wanted the HPOP oil screen.

wjamesm

Reaction score
Are you saying that the mounting location for the pickup tubes are in different locations depending on which front cover you have ? I'd like to use the 95 oil pan because it's in great shape , the 97 isn't bad but does have rust .

wjamesm

Reaction score
Update : well out of curiosity I went out to the garage and looked at both engines and the dipstick tubes are both on the left side of the oil pans . Apparently the Jasper rebuild used a later front cover and oil pan if not the later block too , So I should be good to swap everything over .

Addicted4

Reaction score
The oil pans are the same from 94.5-03 trucks. Dip sticks are passenger side. He is talking about the front cover of the engine and the pickup tube in the oil pan

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The oil pans are the same from 94.5-03 trucks. Dip sticks are passenger side. He is talking about the front cover of the engine and the pickup tube in the oil pan

The oil pans are in fact different. From the outside they appear the same, however, the internal windage tray and pickup hole location in the windage tray are different. One of the guys I work with had a 7.3 he put an obs front cover on for some reason, and had an issue with the oil pan being warped. I ordered one based on the vin, and it would not fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjamesm

Reaction score

Alright that clears things up a-bit , I can use the pan off the supposed bad 95 motor and put it on the 97 . as long as I keep the same oil pick up tube for that motor. Now if the bad engine is a 95 can I use the HPOP off of that engine on the 97 engine ?

wjamesm

Reaction score
Well to do a follow up after i pulled the pans off and in fact you are correct , the 95 7.3 which has the different front cover that has the oil pickup tube on the drivers side does not fit the 97 pan with the oil pick up tube on the passenger side because the hole in the windage tray is different . the pan itself is the same but the hole in the windage tray is either on the left or right side of the pan , Some quick work with the angle grinder and the 95 pan now fits the 97 motor .

wjamesm

Reaction score
The oil pans are in fact different. From the outside they appear the same, however, the internal windage tray and pickup hole location in the windage tray are different. One of the guys I work with had a 7.3 he put an obs front cover on for some reason, and had an issue with the oil pan being warped. I ordered one based on the vin, and it would not fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are in fact correct , I took the pans off of the motors and the hole in the windage tray is different from the 95 to the 97 . the 95 motor has the oil pick up tube on the drivers side of the motor and the 97 is on the passenger side , when I tried to put the pans in place the pick up tube hits the windage tray , but with a little work with the angle grinder it now fits . Good thing I checked the pick up tube , the support for it that bolts onto the main cap was cracked in half , (note) the 95 support mount for the pick up tube won't work because it is opposite handed .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online