Very High Oil Temps?

monster50iii

Reaction score
We tow with our 7.3, and pull a 16,500 trailer. In the summer its not uncommon to see 260-280* for oil temp. After doing reading sounds like this is 50-75* higher than normal. The truck throws a low pressure code for the high pressure oil. I am replacing the IPR(and sensor??), and ICP sensor. Now, what could cause the high oil temp? I thought maybe the sensor is bad, so I'm replacing that as well. We bought this rig 2 years ago with 130k miles on it. Could the coolant not being replaced ever (not sure, just brain storming incase it never has...we never have anyway) cause the oil cooler to plug and get this kind of heat? Whenever we are on big pulls up a hill duty cycle with be over 90%, and pressure will be below 2000psi.

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
260-280 is way too hot for engine oil. What is your coolant temp at those oil temp? I would start with a coolant flush and replace the coolant with the proper ratio (50%-50%). The water in the coolant actually does the work pulling the heat away. Once you change the coolant, then go from there to see if anything else is plugged/clogged.

Billy T.
[email protected]

monster50iii

Reaction score
I have no idea, the coolant on the gauge has always been normal. I still dont understand why ford wont let the OBDII port show what is actually going on with coolant temp. I may get a gauge for this summer..

Gearhead

Reaction score
Your oil cooler could be stopped up from mixing coolants..... you may want to pull it off and put new orings on it after making sure all the tubes are fine (coolant flows through the center).

Layson

Reaction score
I would look at your oil cooler, outside of the radiator is probably plugged full of crap, and maybe even your fan clutch needs to be replaced.... Can you hear the fan clutch engage.