17" wheel for drag radial ?

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm hunting a 17x10 preferably but I want it with a 6.5" or close back spacing to keep the tire under the truck. I know weld used to make some 8 lug with custom offsets. I also found some fuels but in 17. Any ideas.?

devdiesel

Reaction score
Only ones I could find were from American eagle, 016 model I think. 20x10 but there - 24 offset, I put a set of m&h 390/40/17 on them, fit well

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423441080996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423441080996.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 145

08twinturbo

Reaction score
That's the tire im going to run. But you mean 17x10 right? Also how do they hook on your 2wd. I will be using these on my 2wd as well.

devdiesel

Reaction score
Sry yes 17x10...you need as much weight transfer as possible to get it to hook, move everything to the back and soften everything up if you want to launch with any boost. I cut a couple 2.0's and one 1.8 but nothing great so far. Start with 18 tire psi and go down from there, if your running caltracs leave a 16th gap (no preload) and try 3-5 boost psi first time around... Watch my build thread in the next week or so, I'll put some pictures up for the rear suspension setup I'll be running this year

devdiesel

Reaction score
I think with some more practice, better setup and throttle control 1.60's or less are do-able... Atleast that's my goal.. And if that's the case then being 2wd can really shine, especially on the back half of the track

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Yea Im just trying to see if I can get it to half way hook. I have some ouo bars ordered and I am still trying to decide if I should pull any leafs. Your axle is flipped right with the djm kit?

Kind

Reaction score
I highly suggest you buy the recommend 12" wide wheel for that particular tire. I've been running a 10" for the last 4 years and I sacrifices a lot of contact with the pavement. So much so that even running them at 27psi I still don't get any wear on the outside 3/4" of the tread surface.

Now with my triple set up I burnt a set off just driving normally, a few launches and no burnouts in about a month. Size the rim appropriately and not only will you get better traction it will last longer... Obviously. And my first set of M&H's they said a 10" will work... Yeah it works but I will never recommend it.

My best 60ft was 1.78 with a bunch of 1.8's.

Last edited:

Kind

Reaction score
Yea Im just trying to see if I can get it to half way hook. I have some ouo bars ordered and I am still trying to decide if I should pull any leafs. Your axle is flipped right with the djm kit?

Nothing against OUO, but for a 2wd you will want a bar that loads the suspension up. Caltrac's or something homemade are the ticket. And with drag radials one of the keys is to avoid going too low with tire pressure and doing too much of a burnout.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a set of those m/t classics with cheater slicks and the 16x12 with 33x15 tire was a total weight was roughly 65 a corner , I couldn't fins anything lighter. I'm pretty sure they make the classic in a 17x12 . the 16x12 was 24lbs iirc .

Kind

Reaction score
I had a set of those m/t classics with cheater slicks and the 16x12 with 33x15 tire was a total weight was roughly 65 a corner , I couldn't fins anything lighter. I'm pretty sure they make the classic in a 17x12 . the 16x12 was 24lbs iirc .

I love it when you say "cheater slicks" and "roughly" in the same sentence.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
I highly suggest you buy the recommend 12" wide wheel for that particular tire. I've been running a 10" for the last 4 years and I sacrifices a lot of contact with the pavement. So much so that even running them at 27psi I still don't get any wear on the outside 3/4" of the tread surface.

Now with my triple set up I burnt a set off just driving normally, a few launches and no burnouts in about a month. Size the rim appropriately and not only will you get better traction it will last longer... Obviously. And my first set of M&H's they said a 10" will work... Yeah it works but I will never recommend it.

My best 60ft was 1.78 with a bunch of 1.8's.

I agree with you on this because with my stock 20" wheels and a 305 tire it's the same way. Outer edge does nothing. Still looks new.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Nothing against OUO, but for a 2wd you will want a bar that loads the suspension up. Caltrac's or something homemade are the ticket. And with drag radials one of the keys is to avoid going too low with tire pressure and doing too much of a burnout.

I was mainly just wanting something to control axle wrap. I know caltracs work just didn't want something that would be noisy for daily driving. Still trying to decide whether to pull a leaf or not. I have the stock 2wd 5 spring pack.

Kind

Reaction score
If you want traction at the strip then don't worry about the noise. They aren't even that bad.

I removed my overload plus one.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Which other leaf did you remove. I know the 4th one down has the leaf brackets made onto it.

Last edited:

devdiesel

Reaction score
27psi ah Kind? I started up around there and the more I dropped the better it felt/ hooked. That was just with a quick burnout to wipe the tires off. I'll be doing lots more runs this year so well see. And I agree with the cal tracs for sure. You need it to load up some. I ran a half turn of preload on them but I think that was to stiff, didn't alow it to transfer

Kind

Reaction score
Just remember that our trucks are twice the weight of cars running them. A car running 15-18psi is manipulating those tires a lot less then we do at that same psi.

As far as the caltracs my best luck with them is running the preload just touching, plus a 1/4 turn tighter. I never had any luck running the recommended way. Shocks are a big player too. Get some adjustable ones. Soften the compression and slow down the rebound compared to the street. But not to soft or it will compress way to easy. And not to slow on the rebound or your shocks will never keep up in the case of a quick unloading of the rear.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.