A question of value

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
The wife and I want a new truck. She is stuck on getting a Platinum. I'm not so sure.

The real question is, what is the value of my trade-in versus selling privately. Dealership says $14-15k trade-in. They have no idea what has been done to it. So, based on the items listed below, what would you say is an honest price for my truck if I were sell it privately.

2008 F-350 SRW, CCLB stock 3.73 rear. Pinion seal replaced about 20K ago. Transmission was replaced at 101K with Ford reman.

Motor completely rebuilt with currently 17k mile on it. 167,xxx total on truck. Long block from Dynamic Diesel in Parma Mi. New heads, block, pistons, rods, valvetrain, basically everything is new.

Parts added/replaced during rebuild:
New front cover with new oil pump
New water pump.
All new belts and hoses
CAT red ELC coolant
New oil cooler
Airdog 4G lift pump assy
Rebuilt turbos
BD Diesel manifolds and up pipes
All new injectors
All new bolts and gaskets
BD Diesel A/C line redirect
New OEM radiator (about 10k ago)
That's about all I can remember at the moment. I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired right now. Basically, if there was any doubt, I just replaced it. At the time, I thought I'd have this truck for another 7-10 years so I wanted to do it right. I also have installed:

Pioneer AVH4100 HU
JL Audio CS-570 door speakers x4
JL audio 12TW shallow sub
JL audio XD1000/5V2 amp
Backup camera

Firestone airbags
Pullrite Super 5th 21k hitch
Bed is LineX'ed
6 Bullring tiedown rings installed in bed rails
New Cooper tires about 5k ago.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head right now. The truck is in great shape. No damage other than a few chips here and there. Washed up and buffed out, she looks great.

So, what do you guys think?

pog

Reaction score
What's the trim level? xlt lariat kr etc.

TLyons90

Reaction score
Regardless you 100% are going to get more selling privately vs trading it in. Dealerships don't look out for the customer at all anymore IMHO and will low ball you as hard as they can and say "they are all in". Yes it does make it easier to trade in but you will lose no doubt about it. Truck you have already sounds nice in my eyes if the mechanic who did the work knew what he was doing and rebuilt it better than Ford.

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Regardless you 100% are going to get more selling privately vs trading it in. Dealerships don't look out for the customer at all anymore IMHO and will low ball you as hard as they can and say "they are all in". Yes it does make it easier to trade in but you will lose no doubt about it. Truck you have already sounds nice in my eyes if the mechanic who did the work knew what he was doing and rebuilt it better than Ford.

You got that right. Dealerships are looking out for #1 only.

And I hope the mechanic knew what he was doing because it was me. ;)
I have a hard time letting anyone else touch my stuff. I wanted to make sure it was done right.

pog

Reaction score
i agree with shone. i wouldn't trade for anything less than 20k and private 25-28k.

TLyons90

Reaction score
You got that right. Dealerships are looking out for #1 only.

And I hope the mechanic knew what he was doing because it was me. ;)
I have a hard time letting anyone else touch my stuff. I wanted to make sure it was done right.

Even better! If you have the knowledge, you will do it better than anyone!

vr6dub

Reaction score
Thought about trading my 08 f250 CCSB XLT w/ 62k miles in on a 15 F350 CCLB Platinum, dealership offered a trade-in of 21k as their top amount. Just couldnt do it considering mine is paid off and not 100% certain i wanted another payment for 5 years.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Was thinking the same thing Sootie.

OP, definitely try private party selling at $28k OBO. Guess it all depends on your area and what trucks are selling for. Dealer by me just sold a 2012 250 BASE Lariat for $29k with 63xxx miles on it.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Was thinking the same thing Sootie.

OP, definitely try private party selling at $28k OBO. Guess it all depends on your area and what trucks are selling for. Dealer by me just sold a 2012 250 BASE Lariat for $29k with 63xxx miles on it.

few guys down here have been picking 6.7's up in jersey as of late, had one customer go to central and pick up an 80k loaded lariat dually for 30 think it was a 12 or 13

Latest posts

Members online