4r100 Shifting Issues

skate918

Reaction score
I just picked up a 99.5 7.3 2wd truck. Truck will pull it self like it should in reverse and first but that's it. Previous owner claims it started doing this randomly with nothing leading up to it.

There are no codes present for anything so I don't have s lot to go off of. I've had vehicles in the past where you could swap out shift solenoids and typically fix the problem.

Should I plan on just having it rebuilt? If so who makes some good kits? Truck will remain mostly stock performance wise and is being built into a single cab short bed.

Thanks fir the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skate918

Reaction score
Will it shift if you manually shift it from 1 to 2 with the shift handle?

According to the previous owner no. I'm out of town working but can check this weekend when I get back. What would that mean it does?

skate918

Reaction score
It'll hardly pull itself in first but does alright in reverse. All the other gears are nonexistent in drive or manually shifting them.

skate918

Reaction score
Are the internals the same on 2wd and 4wd tranny? I've got buddy who has had a factory rebuilt 4x4 hd tranny sitting in his shop fir quite some time. Would it be possible to swap over everything to mine? He's also leasing part of his shop to a guy who rebuilds trannys and would do all the work for me at no charge so the price is right if it would work.

Latest posts

Members online