Swapping a cummins 5.9 CR into 08 F350

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I agree with this.
OP youve been around for awhile and have always been a nice guy.
Dont take this the wrong way but I just wanted to give you my constructive opinion.

You just moved to a whole new state, new job, trying to buy a new house. I dont know if you proposed to your girlfriend but I think you did?
So a wedding will soon come etc. even if you didnt propose....face it. Shes in your sig

Do you think a project that is going to inevitably cost lots of money is the smartest move for a guy in your current life situation and age ?

Put it back together cheap and trade it in on something new and enjoy it. Go about life and buy a 6.4 in a couple years for nothing and do it then when you have a more stable life and financial stability.

Not hating on you, just dont want to see you screw yourself.

You do have a heart!!!!

LOL i am totally with Shone on this one. I dont think this is the time or place for a project like this.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I agree with this.
Dont take this the wrong way but I just wanted to give you my constructive opinion.

You just moved to a whole new state, new job, trying to buy a new house. I dont know if you proposed to your girlfriend but I think you did?
So a wedding will soon come etc. even if you didnt propose....face it. Shes in your sig

Do you think a project that is going to inevitably cost lots of money is the smartest move for a guy in your current life situation and age ?

Put it back together cheap and trade it in on something new and enjoy it. Go about life and buy a 6.4 in a couple years for nothing and do it then when you have a more stable life and financial stability.

This!

Stroked777

Reaction score
I agree with this.

I'm screwed either way I look at it. Yeah I know I can put it back together but right now I don't have the money for a long block. So it's gunna be a long while while I can get the time and money to fix it. So I figured I make it a project. I don't care if putting a 6.4 back in it will be cheaper. I just would like to do the swap as a project and get a cheap beater truck for now

Reaction score
6.7 Cummins Engines are not good big power candidates, the cylinder blocks had weight cut in certian key areas that weakened the block, there's a bunch of dyno vids on Youtube of 6.7s coming apart.. Look up 6.7 Cummins Competition Diesel, they are about as strong as a 7.3 PMR bottom end all b.s aside. You'll have to tune the torque way back to keep it together, the 5.9 bottom end is much more robust, if you can try to find an engine from a Case Tractor and swap the parts to build it reliable. NRcollins64 built a 6.7 Cummins but the coin he had in it was a bunch, not to mention he had top notch shops helping get it together and it was tuned carefully. A 6.4 can be had cheap at a boneyard, there out there, call heavy duty truck parts places, wrecked county trucks will be at places like Frontier and what not.. If you're knee deep in other commitments in life this will be a big headache, I've personally done two 6.0-12v conversions and there is quite a bit to make it right, and when I mean right, I mean everything works, ACCEPT cruise of course. Sit down and make a list, and don't just look at what a swap kit price is, you're looking at a challenge of course, and ask your self this, do you possess all the tools to do this.. Oh and the reman business works like this, they buy core engines, and take as many used parts between all the engines they have, buy a rebuild kit and peice them together, and most companies cut as many corners as possible, I'm not being a debbie downer I'm being real, even Detroit and Cummins and EVEN Cat do this with reman engines. If you want one right, you need to listen to what others have stated, buy a good 5.9 core, break it down and build it with patience, then you'll know what you have.