Swapping a cummins 5.9 CR into 08 F350

Stroked777

Reaction score
ok I'm just looking at this as option, as of now my 08 is gunna need a new block, and I'm looking at the cummins swap route if it will be cheaper to that way and just put a common rail 5.9 into the motor, anyone done this and what parts will i need? i know i will be going through destroyed for parts but i was wonder what I'm looking at for a ball park price for a swap, i will keep the 5r in it as well

Fordguy100

Reaction score
The biggest factor is how much you spend on a CR Cummins. Some people have lucked into cheap deals, most of the time thats an expensive engine. I saw a military surplus 6.7 on craigslist for like 8K, no wiring. It also really depends on your area. Stripped motors around here are around 3K, turn key are more like 5K. Then you have to add in the swap parts.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I put together a list of some part I need, altenator, adapter plate, fan shroud, motor mounts, and flex plate (might be forgetting one) is around 2100. If I cando it all cheaper that putting another 6.4 in it then I will go a cummins swap route. Still gotta call the shop and see what they say

co04cobra

Reaction score
No way in the end you have less money doing a 5.9 swap then picking up a used 6.4 block somewhere. Especially if you like having all the things in the truck working correctly.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well the truck is at hallers right now. A lifter wiped out the stg 1 cam and is stuck in the block, and the block is cracked around ther lifter and all the Pistons on the passenger side slapped some valves. I figured that a pod cumins block is cheaper than a 6.4 long or short block

jngreen

Reaction score
There is no way you can make that work for cheaper, or close to the same price.

If you are hurting for money I would start shopping for junkyard motors or at least let Hallers know the situation so he can try to work a deal for you. If you are looking for reliability, than I would give up on looking for performance, and return it back to stock, or deleted and a tune.

To answer your original question, I would guess $15,000 for a Cummins conversion, maybe more or less depending on how much you pay to have done.

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
From a guy that put a 6.7 cummins in a ford you will not come out cheaper. Those engines are selling for gold and it's the lil stuff that adds up quick as well. Plus you loose options like cruise etc. Keep the 6.4. That's why I got out of it and bought mine now.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I looked into this a little further. I plan ongoing this swap. Just need to sell a trailer and part out the 6.4 and I will be destroking the king ranch and putting in a 5.9 common rail

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
The key will be doing it yourself and finding a reasonably priced engine. High miles wouldnt scare me, just pull the pan and check the bearings and cylinder walls.

fbilly420

Reaction score
FWIW I just picked up a complete 6.4 with 80k out of Idaho for $4500 delivered to Utah. Complete I mean turbos to oil pan including complete wiring harness.

fine69

Reaction score
Do you plan on keeping your truck forever? Cause you'll REALLY be limiting the number of people who would want to buy it later on.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i agree,

The best bet is patch it, sell it, buy an older truck and swap or just buy a 6.7

Stroked777

Reaction score
The truck has over 100k miles and is still in great condition. I do plan on keeping it a while. I am mostly doing it because it's cheaper than putting a new 6.4 blok in there and it will be a unique truck, and a project I am looking forward to taking on

co04cobra

Reaction score
Do what you want, it's your truck, BUT please be realistic. You can not put 5.9 in it cheaper then going back with a 6.4.

Also, however much you think you'll spend in the swap, plan to double it by the time you get (if you get) everything working correctly. And the truck will be down a year.

Matt_P

Reaction score
Do what you want, it's your truck, BUT please be realistic. You can not put 5.9 in it cheaper then going back with a 6.4.

Also, however much you think you'll spend in the swap, plan to double it by the time you get (if you get) everything working correctly. And the truck will be down a year.

I agree with everything said here.

Latest posts

Members online