Entry Level MIG Welder

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
My father in law gave me an oxy/acetylene torch set which got me thinking about a welder. After looking around, I'm thinking an entry level MIG would be the best for me. I'm thinking that a gas/gas less setup would be ideal. Just looking to pick some brains. Thanks, Chris

David1089

Reaction score
Fluxcore is your option for gasless and it's not ideal for much. Maybe thin mild steel. I'd suggest a system that allows the use of gas all day. It's smoother, more consistent and easier to control

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
I learned on a lincoln sp135. IIRC I liked it. had a gasless machine at home and i hate it. Now i have a hobart Ironman 230 which i love. Also ran a Miller 250 in school and liked it quite a bit as well.

If id get an entry level machine id just grab a 110v gas mig welder. flux machines are frustrating IMO

Flounder_Pounder

Reaction score
Fluxcore is your option for gasless and it's not ideal for much. Maybe thin mild steel. I'd suggest a system that allows the use of gas all day. It's smoother, more consistent and easier to control

Ditto, try and save up for a 220 machine if you can. As an owner of Hobart 140....I wish I'd saved up for a 120/240v machine such as the 210 MVP

Last edited:

fine69

Reaction score
I have a 200 amp, 240 volt Lincoln MIG I bought at Home Depot. It will work with or without gas, and weld steel up to 1/4" thick. I've never used it without gas, only with Argon. It works great, and I'm a newbie welder!

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Any of the Miller Matic's would do you good. 100% C02 is cheap gas, gets good penetration but does not look as good as 75/25 ect.

i would arc weld before i used flux-core, unless your burning thick stuff.

Check out CyberWeld.com , they have good prices on just about everything.

78f100

Reaction score
I have a Hobart handler 190 from tractor supply, it's a great welder for the average guy. Iirc they are 800$ish

Mechcont

Reaction score
The biggest question is what are you looking to weld and what is your budget. If your looking for a cheap learning machine that will weld 3/16" and thinner a 120v machine will do if your looking to be able to learn and grow with the machine definitely get a 120/240 machine. With that said a few good 110v machines are the longevity 140 and the hobart 140 for under $500 and they will both run flux core. The miller 211, 212 and the o matics are great but will cost you some money but you can weld anything you want.

Just my opinion but stay away from flux core unless your welding outside and use a 75/25 mix there is less smoke the welds are much better looing.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
ideal would be 75/25 although i have been using 84/16 lately with great results. Like i said 100% c02 is the cheapest of them all it just doesn't look as good, but gets the best penetration.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have a Hobart handler 190 from tractor supply, it's a great welder for the average guy. Iirc they are 800$ish

I bought the Hobart hanlder 190 and like it a lot, I did overwork it this summer repairing a car trailer, I hit the overtemp shut down on it a lot, I didn't think that would happen stitch welding but it did. The first one I had was a 120v which I thought was really important but with a couple of extension cords I built I haven't had any problems with where I need to weld.

little luke

Reaction score
I run a Miller 211. Pretty versatile little machine. I recently built a welding table with it that involved welding a lot of 1", 3/8" and 1/4". Yes it was wide open the whole time and I burned up the stock gun about half way through the project. I would have rather used my stick welder, but it was at another job for two weeks and it's a pain to transport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I started with a Lincoln Weldpack and now have a Miller. I like the way the Miller welds better than the Lincoln but that is preference only. Both did a good job. Never welded with a Hobart but I have been told they are good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

little luke

Reaction score
I started with a Lincoln Weldpack and now have a Miller. I like the way the Miller welds better than the Lincoln but that is preference only. Both did a good job. Never welded with a Hobart but I have been told they are good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Hobart handler 187 before the Miller. I prefer the millers performance over the hobarts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m j

Reaction score
depends on you situation, but a 200amp welder like a miller 250/251/252 is pretty much as good as it gets on single phase power and will do everything you can weld probably for your lifetime.
the price for quality smaller welders doesnt get cheap enough to justify their lack of duty cycle IMO
a lot of the smaller welders like to use a number in the 200 range on the side of the case but many are 90amp or less when you read the 60% duty cycle spec that is industry standard.

they have a 2?? hobart (amps at 60% are way under 200) in the shop at work but when I have to work winters doing repairs I just bring my 251 miller from home.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Small things for now. I have a plow frame that needs some rust repair and I'm sure other things like exhausts, trailers, etc. will come along. I have friends and family with stick welders, but think the MIG will be better for what I am after.

mandkole

Reaction score
Hobart handler 187 here also. Uses the Miller gun assy and easy to get parts for-been happy with it.