Hooting under boost

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So for a long time now I have had this pulsing hoot that comes on at around 12psi and as the pressure goes up the duration of the hoot gets longer, so 12 psi is 'hoot hoot hoot' whole 20 psi is 'hooooooooot hooooooooot hooooooooot'. It doesn't get any louder though. Anyone have any ideas? I thought it may have been a cracked intercooler but I pressure tested it without getting any hooting. :wtf:

imelmo

Reaction score
It's pressure coming out of the coolant reservoir. Makes a tea kettle sound. Time to start saving up for a stud job, although I drove my white truck around for quite some time like that even spraying it. LOL

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I have the studs And everything else waiting to go in was really planning on doing it at she same time as the 6.0.4 project.

My buddy just obtained his shop too, so when my partner and I have the time to put in the 10' garage door for him I guess my truck will be one of the first through the new door.

alwil

Reaction score
It's pressure coming out of the coolant reservoir. Makes a tea kettle sound. Time to start saving up for a stud job, although I drove my white truck around for quite some time like that even spraying it. LOL

Were you loosing coolant at the same time? When my HG were gone it would whistle a bit even after I let off the fuel and I was puking about a gallon of coolant during a 2 hr drive.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I do not lose much coolant. Resivoir tank sits just under the lower mark on the tank. I have some residue on the tank but its most likely old as dirt because I haven't ever cleaned it.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
It has made this sound for a solid year now. It did it with my original '03 turbo, and still does now with KDSieckmann's 05 turbo.

Cak301

Reaction score
Mine has done the same thing ever since I put an MTW stage 1 in. My diesel guy says that it is probably either the bellows or the tune not being right for the turbo. Mine starts at about 16-17 and goes til about 24psi. It is a lot more noticeable in overdrive with the converter locked when I roll into it. It is pretty loud when I have my boat on the truck. I haven't lost any coolant and it sounds nothing like the tea kettle noise from blown gaskets. I have heard that noise plenty on two previous trucks.

Last edited:

Cak301

Reaction score
I am currently running matts slr tune and my boost gauge doesn't flutter at all.

Last edited:

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
The coolant tank makes sense and coincides with the location of the sound, although the bellows are not too far away. Anyhow, I had a buddy powerbrake to a steady 11psi with my ear at the coolant tank, but we couldn't get it to make a sound and I am not sure if I would be able to capture the sound with a video because of exhaust and engine noise. The hoot is faint but noticeable.

Forgot:
I have a digital boost gauge with an analog dial, that said I never see flutter. My turbo sure farts a lot though, kind of like its owner...

Last edited:

Cak301

Reaction score
I was able to get video of mine but it is very hard to hear over the engine and road noise if you don't know what you are listening for. I don't know how to post it though.

imelmo

Reaction score
Were you loosing coolant at the same time? When my HG were gone it would whistle a bit even after I let off the fuel and I was puking about a gallon of coolant during a 2 hr drive.

Yes, but very little. I'd see where a couple droplets were but that's about it.

Latest posts

Members online