06 axle swap and questions

kmanxj

Reaction score
OK so I got a couple days off work so I figured I'd dig into this. Got the bed off my 97 and am starting to look the 06 over closer. First thing that sucked was my great box on my 06 chassis has had a port on top open all spring so I'm sure its full of water and screwed!

Also I don't have the yoke for the read axle. Anybody know of or have one sitting around?

Next is I was under the impression the rear in these is a dana 60? There are no Dana markings like the front but there are ford markings.

Couple pics.

aga6agum.jpg

re4upery.jpg

a9yrase9.jpg

a7yma7u4.jpg

And a pic of the truck the day before I started.

putarypy.jpg

kmanxj

Reaction score
I am having serious troubles finding a yoke. I can find the threaded flat plate part but not the part that holds the u joint

kmanxj

Reaction score
Yes. I was actually searching for a yoke. That's called a flange, and yup I've found a couple. Thank you for the help.

kmanxj

Reaction score
I just used a yoke from a 10.25" OBS axle when I swapped in my 10.5" axle.

Rusty

Really? How are 10.25 axles set up? Do you need to just torque to a certain spec or are there crush sleeves that need replacing? This seems like the best option, especially for my budget.

rusty1161

Reaction score
That's how I have heard it's done. My 10.5 was rebuilt before I installed it, the yoke was added as part of the rebuild.

Rusty

Krause

Reaction score
Yea I've read that about ten times lol. That's how I knew I needed the adaptor joint. But if I can just use the yoke off my 10.25 I'll be happy.

You can use the yoke off the 10.25, but you might be careful about swapping it over. Could mess with the pinion seal and such....

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
The pinion yokes will swap right over, but like mentioned above they do have crush sleves. They are removed and replaced all the time but it's not the "right" thing to do. One torque per sleve, just making you aware

UNLESS... you doner axle is 2010.5+. All 10.25/10.50 axles use a 31 spline pinion shaft up to 2010.5 which it was upgraded to 37 spline

Krause

Reaction score
The pinion yokes will swap right over, but like mentioned above they do have crush sleves. They are removed and replaced all the time but it's not the "right" thing to do. One torque per sleve, just making you aware

UNLESS... you doner axle is 2010.5+. All 10.25/10.50 axles use a 31 spline pinion shaft up to 2010.5 which it was upgraded to 37 spline

That's a good piece of info, I suspect there will be more SD axle swaps from the later years starting to trickle in.

kmanxj

Reaction score
Got it on its own weight in the back. Just need to weld the brackets, put the 10.25 yoke on and get a new fitting for the 06 brake line.

IMG_20140728_203155_324_zpsgmut94aj.jpg

kmanxj

Reaction score
It seems like it sits a little higher but it also has bigger tires on it. I should've measured it before and after but I didn't.

Latest posts

Members online