Fuel cooler system bleeding

ford141

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the factory fuel cooler system and how to bleed it?

I just got my truck back together after doing gaskets, studs, pistons and valvesprings and I can't get the air out of the fuel cooler system. The procedure that I have read was to unbolt the fuel cooler in front of the radiator and lay it horizontally while filling the system through the tiny rad cap on top. This is supposed to allow the air to escape from the system. But when I fill it, I only get a very small amount of coolant in the upper tank before it overflows. It never works it way down the lines to the front mounted cooler or the pump. The pump will even howl and make noise when it turns on because it isn't getting any coolant. Any help?

Stroked777

Reaction score
My pump did the same thing. It would howl and I just kept adding coolant until it stays at the right level. I didn't do any type of bleeding procedure

TD-5

Reaction score
Keep the front mounted Radiator tipped horizontally like you have it, but pull the plug on top of the VGT actuator & fill the system thru it & let the air bubble out through the expansion tank. Some say to jack the back of the truck up until the actuator plug is level, but never found that necessary.

ford141

Reaction score
Keep the front mounted Radiator tipped horizontally like you have it, but pull the plug on top of the VGT actuator & fill the system thru it & let the air bubble out through the expansion tank. Some say to jack the back of the truck up until the actuator plug is level, but never found that necessary.

Ok, thanks, I'll give that a try. Might try to hot wire the pump too so it stays on and circulates.

TD-5

Reaction score
I would think if you can get/keep the pump running you should be able do as STROKED 777 did.
I've only ever filled the system cold & pump off.

My pump did the same thing. It would howl and I just kept adding coolant until it stays at the right level. I didn't do any type of bleeding procedure

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Yup Airlift is a life saver. For my fuel cooler I just took it off the IC and actually flipped it right around and shoved it down below the IC so the lines were sticking up, horizontal was not working i tried to bleed it 5-6 times that way, when I flipped it over it took 500ml right off the bat then only one small top up, hasn't made a peep since.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.