swamps gen 3 pros/cons

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Truck is not a daily driver. Currently running 300/200s possible 300/400s down the road.
who's running a gen 3 setup. What are your likes and dislikes

golfer

Reaction score
pro's- installs in about 45 minutes, and will run annnny HEUI injector in the universe.

con's- idles rough on start up (LPOP can't keep up with volume at cranking rpm)..smooths out in 10-15 seconds.

ryanss22

Reaction score
Id agree with golfer... I had one on my truck with 3/2's. Never a problem woth oil pressure. My only issue was couldn't stop it from leaking where it mounted to the stock hpop, went through several new gaskets, and hard hot restarts. Other then that never an issue.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Cons. Are several idle issues. Chugs on cold starts. Had the truck stall while moving coming back to idle. I've been told it needs a second ipr as after a wot run the truck shakes and rattles like all hell. Some have had the truck die on a cold start. I always get a shudder or chop on any start. Even with several tuners and now my own tunes. I've thrown several revisions at it and it's just what I've come to live with. Why ?

Pros. I've yet to see any other hpop system supply the same oil. Instantly can peg 4000icp if I so felt the need to.
With 450/400s using 3.6ms of pw. 32-3300 ICP at 38% duty cycle.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Id agree with golfer... I had one on my truck with 3/2's. Never a problem woth oil pressure. My only issue was couldn't stop it from leaking where it mounted to the stock hpop, went through several new gaskets, and hard hot restarts. Other then that never an issue.

I don't believe your hard hot starts were caused by the gen3. I believe you might have had some other issues.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Mine will stall at times on hard pull and letting off. Lol its actually been a better setup since its got some wear and tear and doesnt flow as good. Still jeeps up awesome with less cons but its like 6+years old. If you need mad oil itll do it.

TARM

Reaction score
Mine will stall at times on hard pull and letting off. Lol its actually been a better setup since its got some wear and tear and doesnt flow as good. Still jeeps up awesome with less cons but its like 6+years old. If you need mad oil itll do it.

Are you running q dual remote IPR block? I thought you are but I can not seem to recall for sure.

What do you, or anyone for that matter, think are the reasons some seem to have hardly any issues other than small rough idle on start up yet with others having much more severe issues to include occasional stalling? Is the only difference dual IPRs between various Gen 3 setups the inclusion or not of a dual IPR addtion? Do all Gen 3 have the same builds or were there updates?

Is it possible the combo of large 400% injectors and the tuning needed to get decent idle from those injectors in combo with the HPOP setup after hard runs or even startups? Or is this seen with various injector sizes 80%-200%?

Last edited:

PSDEng

Reaction score
For the record, those stalling issues aren't just happening to people with Gen3 setups. I know a handful of pullers that are plagued with the issue and it goes deeper than the pump itself. I myself had the issue at the end of the track of stalling, and I wasn't running a Gen3, it's partly a tuning issue in my opinion.

ibestroken

Reaction score
I run it and love it. All the oil you'll ever need. Had the idle raised just a little when getting truck live tuned and it cured the big choppy idle with big injectors at idle. Ive never had a problem with truck dying after a wot run on the street.(truck doesn't see street much at all) My cure for the truck dying at the end of a hook is simple...If its an auto just throw up into neutral and tap the throttle a few times after sled stops you.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
No i am running a single ipr. A truck ive been working on some lately has one and only seems to have stalling issues while cold. I think about every truck acts a lil different.

TARM

Reaction score
Interesting. With the wide variation I have to think its a combo of the pump setup but then the inj and tuning setup. Those last two likley cause the variations seen.

I can see the stalling on pulling versus even WOT track runs. The pulling is under the heaviest possible load the entire time thus on drop off the effect on the HPOP oil side much be as severe as it gets.

m j

Reaction score
it appears the gen3 feeds the pump from near the top of the reservior.
why? also why does the rez appear to be on the small side?

TARM

Reaction score
Any reason you can not plug that port in the res and then drill and tap one somewhere on it lower? Or what about a draw pipe inside the that upper port that goes to the bottom. Sorry but I have not seen a gen III inside of the res only pics of the setup.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
I might start a new thread, but they might be related. My real question is if the diesel site LPOP is necessary for the gen3, or if stock/melling 208 is fine. In relation to this topic, is it possible that the lack of LPOP oil on let off after a WOT run is causing the stalling. I have this issue and deal with it (shift to neutral and bring it down slower) but feel that I shouldn't have to. Hard to justify $700 for a LPOP that I haven't seen any flow comparison numbers on yet, and if everyone else is doing without, I probably will too.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, if your oil pressure is falling when you lift, that's not good. You need an LPOP.

A stock replacement should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online