Belt Tensioner...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Just an FYI... Maybe most have noticed but...

Noticed on Sunday evening that the belt tensioner on Chelsea's Excursion was getting ready to bust, I should have just stayed home Monday and fixed it but I left and hoped one of the guys local could just fix it really quick.

Had Cody come over on Tuesday and he picked up the part I paid for at Oriely's. Texted me with the issue...

10552588_331140613727680_5603838690173629628_n.jpg

At first I think he doesnt have the belt right, but it is... So then he sends me this picture...

10409202_331140627061012_969551946954734473_n.jpg

Notice the difference.

Now I have swapped dozens of these things over the years, any parts store has always carried them... and they have all looked like the old one shown...

Check there website and they show the old one but its special order... Napa is the same way, Advanced, same way, even Rock auto shows the older one (but they have both)...

Long story short, I drove home last night and stopped at 3 stores, Oriely's, and two Napa's. None had the old one in stock.

I just thought off the cuff and picked up a belt that was 3/4" shorter. Once I got home, 15 minutes and it was done.

Just FYI more then anything, sucked to drive 6 hours home last night, fix the truck and drive 6 hours back to work this morning, then drive 6 more hours to go home tomorrow again... LOL

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I sure hope you got a quickie before leaving for the 6 hour trip back.

LOL... with 4 kiddos, one of which is in our bed... I just wanted 2-3 hours of sleep without being woke up.

Good thinking on the shorter belt.

Its the only thing I could think of at that point. It worked like a charm.

wtf... ive never seen such a monstrosity... ive changed my fair share and never knew they had both.

live life full throttle

Thats what I said... Its been less then 2 years since I broke my last one, walked into Orielys and grabbed the new one, just like the one I took off the Excursion.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
They seem to be all the same from what I can tell, nothing saying single or dual...

greyford1979

Reaction score
When I had to change mine last year I noticed the slight difference in pictures when I was searching for which one to buy. That's why I just ended up buying the Motorcraft one from Rockauto since there wasn't a huge price difference and didn't wanna end up with the wrong one. But I could also wait for it to arrive, which I'm guessing wasn't the case for your wife. I know one thing, I'm definitely using something longer if I install another one. That damn little lever thing that holds it till you release it to put the proper tension on the belt unlocked and damn near thought I was gonna break my hand. And ofc there was nobody around to help get my hand out of the way as it was almost about to be crushed. I thought I was either gonna be stuck like that or have to naw my arm off LOL

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I just leave them loose, then put the wrench in and pull, slip the belt under the idle pulley and move on.

hwrdbd

Reaction score
Ya just get the belt on everything except the idler, twist the tensioner over and slip it on. I got a new gates unit a few months ago and everything seemed proper size, maybe I just got lucky. Then again I'm also running a much shorter belt and a slightly different routing to skip the AC compressor..

TARM

Reaction score
Thanks Joe as I am getting ready to replace my and the idler bearings in the next couple weeks. Now I will measure and check it at the store. While I do not have a 6hr trip I am still an 1hr so 2hrs wasted is not something I want.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The Gates Tensioner I have is part #38191

The Belt part number is #25-081213 121 7/8" long... Napa part number.

old man dave

Reaction score
Its not a van vs truck deal either, they have different ford part numbers but are the same out of the box, I have bought both of them. Rockauto lists the Motorcraft BT-50 for both van and truck.

Latest posts

Members online