Supercharged 7.3

superpsd

Reaction score
The aeromotive regulator should regulate it just fine. No differently that running twin SD pumps or a larger aftermarket pump. I may experiment with pressure switches to use the SD as merely a booster pump. Set a pressure limit to trigger the pump and kill when pressure is returned to a standard limit. That may take a little work to get right. If all fails I have two new SD pumps.

superpsd

Reaction score
Honey Badger SR is installed. Will have to tweek the tune. Fired right up but I have a Cel and I currently have no way to read DTCs. However I assume it is a ICP desired DTC. I set my idle ICP to 600 in the calibration. Stock pump would hold exactly 600 psi or whatever I set it to. With the pump swap ICP will not drop below 729 @ 16%. I took it for a spin and it definitly can ramp the ICP quicker unlike the stock pumps delay. Now its ready to feed bigger sticks.

edit: I just remapped ICP @ idle. The changes worked but still have the cel so if it sticks around I may need to pull the code.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
I ran 400/400's with a stock OBS 15 degree. Truck would do rolling burnouts on 35" tires at will. Sure, it was less powerful than with two pumps, but still over 500rwhp easy.

Don't over-estimate the need for oil volume.

superpsd

Reaction score
I get that. A lot of issues some have with a pump keeping up seen to be tuning related. It has been Said B codes use more oil. Given I needed to upgrade I got an excellent deal out of turning a Srp for SR so I jumped on it. All said an done it was only a few more bucks than a stock replacement pump and I keep my good 15° pump. Hopefully this SR will be good to me. Injectors are ready I may swap them next week.
IMAG2015_1_zpsppi4obpn.jpg

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Home built wackjob injectors are in. The video is after I had made a few adjustments to the PW to tame it a little. Still a bit of adjustment to do. The blower is off as I wanted to make sure they run before I had bolted everything back together.

https://youtu.be/-mbxmeV6lbg

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Tune number two works well. I remapped PW again and pulled out some PW. One crack of black smoke as it fires off then clear with no haze. Driving around with no smoke. It will smoke when you hammer it until the turbo lights off but not excessively. That's it for now until a better turbo and fuel pump is installed.

This video is seconds after firing off. Eot was 78°
https://youtu.be/21DBQgFN3Ms

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
You can't hear the blower?[/QUOTE yes I thought that's what I heard but he said it wasn't hooked up in the other post. I was just clarifying

It wasn't hooked up while he fired the engine and made sure crap was working before he buttoned it back up. I never fired a set of injectors or anything else with the first stage turbo put back on yet myself. Too much sh*t to move out of the way because a damn injector connector clip fell off or something.

Once it checked out he buttoned everything back up and went for a drive.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It wasn't hooked up while he fired the engine and made sure crap was working before he buttoned it back up. I never fired a set of injectors or anything else with the first stage turbo put back on yet myself. Too much sh*t to move out of the way because a damn injector connector clip fell off or something.

Once it checked out he buttoned everything back up and went for a drive.

I barely have the valve covers on when i do it. Its not worth pulling 16 bolts or whatever the hell if something isnt right.

superpsd

Reaction score
What they said. Also hopefully will not be stock turbo for long. Stilll waiting on the KC38R. I have been told by KC that they are ready to go. All they are waiting for now is the intake tubes that comes with.

So list goes.
KC38R
Install SD pump with lines into the back of the head.
Lots of little improvements need to be made to the belt drive system.
Probably will buy up some head studs for cheap insurance.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Idle 2 psi. In neutral it builds boost linearly to 12 psi @ 3200 rpm. That basically just what theblower is putting out as I have pressure gauges to monitor pre and post turbo. Cruising around low load low throttle input it's usually 5-8 psi manifold. For example cruising at 2000 rpms down the freeway in 5th gear @ 70mph it shows like 6 - 7 psi manifold pressure. Once the turbo spools up it pulls air faster than the blower can push it and it pulls a one way flapper valve and pulls from a second air filter. As soon as you lift the valve slams shut and pre turbo pressure returns instantly. When the valve is open and the turbo is spooled up there is a 0 pressure differential from the inlet to the outlet of the blower which leaves the blower simply in a bypass mode. The only power it is robbing at that point is the belt having to rotate the weight of the rotors. The blower is only currently spun to almost 10,000 rpm @3400 rpm. The blower red line is 19,000. The TVS actually has a capability to flow 1400 cfm. However at 10,000 rpm it is only capable of flowing like 700-800 cfm.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Well I highly doubt the turbo will pull vacuum as a 122 Cubic inch blower spinning thousands of rpms will be pushing air into its inlet. If that were to occur like i said there is several options. There has been several Cummins setups with the blower feeding the turbo and they worked just fine. Here is one of those examples a F150 with a 12V M112 feeding a s475.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePI6AsJkLJ4
Oh and a whipple over a s480 on a 24V....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmBeBQD7fys

Shewee. I like the idea of it all and I sure do love me some roots style supercharger whine on a v8 when the go pedal is matted but no way I could handle the sucker whining like it did in that dodge video. Sounded like an old fire siren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
Just for anyone who is interested Eaton has been testing twin charged diesel applications. They modified a T-800 kenworth with the same principal of a blower over turbo combo. The difference is the blower in their application is clutched to disengage as the turbo lights off and the bypass is PCM controlled. There is a PDF with the study and overview of the testing as well as pictures. I am having trouble trying to link the PDF.

Also this is a rig that Banks built for the pikes peak challenge freighshaker. It's a Detroit 60 series with a huge loud ass whipple feeding a turbo. The blower ratio looks to be high enough to always supply enough air for the turbo as there is no bypass
https://youtu.be/a-73ULHNBbI

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.