4x4 transfer case actuator

Dirtclod

Reaction score
My friends 2000 f250 is having trouble with actuator. It's been replaced with part from advance auto. It was working after the change but suddenly quit. There's no power to the actuator and all I can find on fuse pnl is 17 30 amp relay transfer case switch. If it's 30 amp fuse(larger one) it's ok. Is it a relay? If so which one?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok, I called the mechanic that switched my engine and he said there is a module under the dash. So I suppose it is bad. Since on the subject of 4wd. My hubs aren't locking due to vacuum leak. I replaced the only hose that was bad so I'm guessing it is in the hubs. Would this be correct?

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Could be the hubs or either the large seal on the inside of the spindle. Be careful to ensure the hubs are unlocking otherwise you will be spinning 1 or both halfshafts while in 2wd. The hubs don't function as you would expect either. They operate like ball point pen does and need the vacuum pulse to truly unlock. I've heard if you lock and unlock a few times they may unlock but this would need to be verified.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Could be the hubs or either the large seal on the inside of the spindle. Be careful to ensure the hubs are unlocking otherwise you will be spinning 1 or both halfshafts while in 2wd. The hubs don't function as you would expect either. They operate like ball point pen does and need the vacuum pulse to truly unlock. I've heard if you lock and unlock a few times they may unlock but this would need to be verified.

Or if the bearings are bad the halfshafts will spin anyway.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
there's a couple relays under the hood. one for moving the actuator from lo-hi and one for hi-lo. on my 02 they are in their own little box that fits just 2 relays. check that before the 4wd module.
in the long run I ended up just switching to a manual tcase. I wish I wouldve done that first considering it was only $300 used and i bet i had $400 into trying to get the ESOF working

Latest posts

Members online