6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

powerstroke22

Reaction score
Hope you were selling your intakes to pick up a set of Steve's, they are really nice pieces you will be happy with them.

Good to see you get this thing back together. Best of luck.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Yup oil temps run hot when your working it. Mine is normally at 230 range when towing the race trailer.

Yup. I hate how hot they get. Especially when towing something with a lot of wind drag. I've seen 234 out of my truck I usually try to back off when it gets high 220's. I would like to have the mpd oil cooler kit but $$$$. Looks like a nice kit though.

Sent from my I fone 5

RedRice589

Reaction score
I've seen plenty I have numerous videos and pics..... Try mountains and Florida heat with a Ranch hand!! Lol 240 just the other day.

Dan

Reaction score
My truck always liked to run hot... 220+ degrees... I guess turning those 38s and excessive speeds on highways does that...

One thing for sure is I will report what kinda oil temps I see with an aux cooler, hoping to not exceed 200 degrees and take a little strain off the cooling system

Dan

Reaction score
BA5F6E5E-F504-4195-A9C6-5D0AA720143C_zpsw4xsckyp.jpg

By removing the oil cooler strain on the primary system, and likely going to an aux cooler for the tranny, the engine and charge air cooler will have much better cooling priority...

Anyone know of an aftermarket secondary rad?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic dan. So the coolant from the egr block then goes to the oil cooler. I wonder how that affects on a blocked off egr passage compared to one like absolute or no limits plates that let the coolant flow through?

Sent from my I fone 5

CATDiezel

Reaction score
What concerns you guys about 230 degree engine oil?????

Its designed to run hotter than that...

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
You don't trust the water cooled factory unit designed by Ford Engineers?
It has zero water flow if the block is filled to far all you will have is hot boiling water for no where to go...When were racing at the track highest oil temp I see is 190 after 4 back to back passes and 197 degree water with a 1/2 filled block and our delete kit

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I've seen 249* oil temps towing the dyno in our bone stock 2013 450 with 4,500 miles on it...

Your "safer" with 250*F oil than you are with 190*F oil. If you want to strain at a gnat anyways.

Run 15w40 if your seeing 249*F oil. Not the 5w or whatever for groceries....

Oil temps at 230 are just fine. Remember. It's 15.2weight at 212*F.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It has zero water flow if the block is filled to far all you will have is hot boiling water for no where to go...When were racing at the track highest oil temp I see is 190 after 4 back to back passes and 197 degree water with a 1/2 filled block and our delete kit

This is again straining gnats here but your engine would be happier drag racing with 212* temps across the board. Everything moves alot easier. Oil at 140* will be indexed somewhere in the 100w.

I'm sure you know this but for those that don't. The water is not boiling in the engine in a pressurized cooling system at 212*

With a atmospheric pressure of 14.8psi. You'll be looking at about 247* temperature before you start to boil @ 30psi closed circuit pressure. I'm not sure what the rad caps pop at these days. Haven't cared to look. 20?

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Ok well either way I'm going to opt for lower oil temps this time around

Lol.... There is a ditch on both sides of the road with oil temps Dan... The road is rather narrow to boot. Cold oil is just as deadly as too hot of oil.

Anyways. Just throwing that out there...

97stoker350

Reaction score
Lmao. If Ford wanted the engine to run at 197° I bet you a million bucks this engine would run at that temperature. Contrary to popular belief, people that build these trucks are smarter than 99% of us and 2 people don't build one over the course of a couple months. So there is probably a reason why they run at 250° bone stock and didn't "opt for lower oil temps". But hey someone's gotta be the Pioneer right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.