2011-2015 Turbo discussion thread

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You were running 63psi of boost and 40psi of bp?

What were you using to monitor ebp?

Without an aftermarket sensor your not reading the correct ebp. I assume your using the mini max pid for ebp. That is horribly inaccurate. Before you get too defensive you need to be correct with your readings.

And fwiw, you may be able to get close to 1:1 ebp, but the laws of physics always dictate that the energy required to push the turbine will always be higher than the output. There will always be efficiency loss, parasitic loss and heat loss using a finned wheel on shaft in a housing that allows energy to bypass (since it's not a 100% seal on the turbine wheel) to turn a finned wheel on the opposite side. Doesn't matter what turbos. That's just how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score

Without an aftermarket sensor your not reading the correct ebp. I assume your using the mini max pid for ebp. That is horribly inaccurate. Before you get too defensive you need to be correct with your readings.

And fwiw, you may be able to get close to 1:1 ebp, but the laws of physics always dictate that the energy required to push the turbine will always be higher than the output. There will always be efficiency loss, parasitic loss and heat loss using a finned wheel on shaft in a housing that allows energy to bypass (since it's not a 100% seal on the turbine wheel) to turn a finned wheel on the opposite side. Doesn't matter what turbos. That's just how it is.

Are you trying to say anything about physics? and the laws of physics?

Are you implying an electric car still leaves a carbon footprint somewhere?

LOL... Are you trying to say that there is no such thing as a hybrid turbo?!!

Reaction score
Are you trying to say anything about physics? and the laws of physics?

Are you implying an electric car still leaves a carbon footprint somewhere?

LOL... Are you trying to say that there is no such thing as a hybrid turbo?!!

Don't muck this thread up with that jibberish!!!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

maybe he doesn't know that ebp stops at 40 on the factory sensor ? or is it 42 ? I had to use IDS to get my readings . but I had 62 psi at 47 lbs of boost with a non-vgt single. it was definitely WAY higher on this twin setup without a gate. probably sky high aka rod bending high . hence the VERY low power for all that boost.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Hmm. That's interesting mike. The sensor is linear to voltage and psi reading being a simple 3 wire power/signal/ground unit. I would have thought the mini maxx with the correct PID equation could interpret that properly. Unless the baud rate is too slow for update.... which that I could see being the processor in the MM is pretty slow. According to the graph and chart for the sensor. It would or will be out of range around 85psi for ebp. Anything over 4.5v is a reference for out of range /short to high.

Agree 100% if you cannot exhaust what's before the turbine it will only build a "false" boost pressure. Probably why he had bent rods.

Did you "mike" have bent rods from the engine you just pulled out of yours?

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm. That's interesting mike. The sensor is linear to voltage and psi reading being a simple 3 wire power/signal/ground unit. I would have thought the mini maxx with the correct PID equation could interpret that properly. Unless the baud rate is too slow for update.... which that I could see being the processor in the MM is pretty slow. According to the graph and chart for the sensor. It would or will be out of range around 85psi for ebp. Anything over 4.5v is a reference for out of range /short to high.

Agree 100% if you cannot exhaust what's before the turbine it will only build a "false" boost pressure. Probably why he had bent rods.

Did you "mike" have bent rods from the engine you just pulled out of yours?

hell no my motor is perfect. and no the minimaxx stops at 40-42.

BK39

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, I didn't want to start an entire new thread. It's turbo related. The Truck is a 2013, I'm eye balling the streetmax turbo, will my current downpipe work with a streetmax turbo, or does the kit come with a new downpipe?

Pstroke14

Reaction score
I don't know which way to go ???! Got a 2014 tuned, deleted , want a nice reliable turbo setup make a little more power , compounds , single 15' converted stock turbo ? Just looking for the best bang for the buck , h&s kit looks awesome , just can't justify or afford to spend that kind of money , just wondering what you guys are running and results and if your happy and would do it over what you would do different

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I don't know which way to go ???! Got a 2014 tuned, deleted , want a nice reliable turbo setup make a little more power , compounds , single 15' converted stock turbo ? Just looking for the best bang for the buck , h&s kit looks awesome , just can't justify or afford to spend that kind of money , just wondering what you guys are running and results and if your happy and would do it over what you would do different

15 will give you a good bump in power and the towmax will give you more and the streetmax will give you more given the dollar amount you want to spend. Now if you don't care about drivability then look at the non VGT options.

I went with the streetmax and it's really all I ever needed but I need a day to day truck with as low smoke as possible but tuning plays a big roll in that. Power is there and dependent on the tune I run milage is there to not to mention the whistle....

sootie

Reaction score

do a streetmax from Morgan @ Midwest Diesel

Pstroke14

Reaction score
15 will give you a good bump in power and the towmax will give you more and the streetmax will give you more given the dollar amount you want to spend. Now if you don't care about drivability then look at the non VGT options.

I went with the streetmax and it's really all I ever needed but I need a day to day truck with as low smoke as possible but tuning plays a big roll in that. Power is there and dependent on the tune I run milage is there to not to mention the whistle....

Thank you for your input , I drive mine daily as well , drivabilty is a main concern ,

Reaction score

Thank you for your input , I drive mine daily as well , drivabilty is a main concern ,

I love hearing things like that! Carry on! Glad we could be a part!

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Give me a call @217-718-6119. I'd be glad to talk to you about options.

Thanks for your help , I will give you a call sometime to get some more information, thanks again

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
Give me a call @217-718-6119. I'd be glad to talk to you about options.

Thanks for your help , I will give you a call sometime to get some more information, thanks again

That's cool but I'd rather have you call Morgan... Haha and I'm out!

Latest posts

Members online