2011-2015 Turbo discussion thread

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
15 will give you a good bump in power and the towmax will give you more and the streetmax will give you more given the dollar amount you want to spend. Now if you don't care about drivability then look at the non VGT options.

I went with the streetmax and it's really all I ever needed but I need a day to day truck with as low smoke as possible but tuning plays a big roll in that. Power is there and dependent on the tune I run milage is there to not to mention the whistle....

I care very much about drivability and don't own and would never own a VGT charger.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Just trying to help man. But i do believe I'm not alone, maybe you could give your .02 and help a guy out.

I own the H&S kit and it seemed that was out of the question. I was just saying you can obtain great drivability with out going the VGT route.

jcain

Reaction score
I like my non-VGT. I tow my 12,000lb 5th wheel with absolutely zero issues.

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Why not a vgt turbo ? How does the truck act ,one vs the other ? Towing , general driving around town and whatnot :demon:

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Ha ... Yeah.. daily driver , towing here and there , would be happy ( or so I think 500 to the wheels ) , like the response of the vgts , but would a non vgt in a good set up feel better ? Maybe I'm over thinking it , thanks guys :doh:

Trevor008

Reaction score
Did you read the earlier posts? Haha I know they have there advantages but we don't need to start arguments. To each their own on this one.

Yes, I did read them which is why I felt the need to correct you. You posted misinformation earlier about how a non-vgt has poor drivability. The post that I corrected had you stating that a non-vgt will outperform a vgt which is only partially true. A vgt has much better low end power generally but at the expense of top end power. A non-vgt usually produces less low torque but excels up high. So you see, they outperform each other in different aspects. They both can be incredibly reliable as well. Nobody is trying to argue here. We're all just trying to make sure everyone knows the reality of the matter.

Reaction score
Either one will work. It honestly depends on your goals. For the average daily driving work truck crowd will a non vgt work? Hell yeah. I've owned two of them on 6.7's towed 20k with the s366. But it is not an apples to apples comparison. Imo the VGTS are suited to the guy who doesn't need anything fancy and just wants a good streetable turbo without going over board. Drives almost exactly like stock except for much better power and lower egt's. Smoke free, exhaust braking, instant highway spool, carries great boost while cruising etc. There are non VGTS that will come close in all of those areas as well and better in other areas. There are also non VGTS that will suffer up top due to the small turbine that they were equipped with for hopes of good spooling. The vgt is a more versatile turbo over the range of spool vs power their range is broader vs a comparable sized non vgt. It is all in what you want in the end. I like both for given purposes. In the end the only way to go wrong is to go too big or too small regardless of vgt or non vgt. Turbo sizing and application are critical to making a happy customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Well , can't wait to get that factory turbo off my 14 ', just don't trust it! You can defiantly feel where the stock turbo stops making power on a tuned truck , I'm gonna fine Midwest a call tomorrow ...hopefully and get my truck in the right path

Latest posts

Members online